Semi live review Y1L Holland America’s Alaska Land and Sea CruiseTour, June 1 – June 19, 2022

Alphen

2 hours ago, KSPlum74 said:

Although I don't think this turned out to be true since I know one of my bags was 45 pounds and the other about 25.

I am only indicating what the air carriers restrictions on their website are, not how they are implemented in an individual basis.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KSPlum74 said:

The wifi at the Fairmont was actually free. If wanted premium then a cost.  I asked about this at the front desk. 

Okay, did not know that, we had airport WiFi in our room.

10 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Such a wonderful, thorough trip report; thank you! It’s very concerning how many tested positive after the land portion. 

And from what I hear, our group was sadly no exception.

17 hours ago, Alphen said:

And from what I hear, our group was sadly no exception.

I have really enjoyed your posts and pictures, especially since DH and I tested positive after four days on our land tour. There are just too many people on the land tours co-mingling. You have folks pre-cruise and post-cruise mixing for all events at maximum capacity. Our biggest regret is we tested positive before our cruise. Thank you for letting me enjoy it vicariously through your posts!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

I have really enjoyed your posts and pictures, especially since DH and I tested positive after four days on our land tour. There are just too many people on the land tours co-mingling. You have folks pre-cruise and post-cruise mixing for all events at maximum capacity. Our biggest regret is we tested positive before our cruise. Thank you for letting me enjoy it vicariously through your posts!

I agree about the mixing of groups, we had the same experience. We were strict on masks, do not know if this kept us out of harms way, but don't think it did us harm too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alphen said:

I agree about the mixing of groups, we had the same experience. We were strict on masks, do not know if this kept us out of harms way, but don't think it did us harm too.

We were strict on our mask wearing, too. Sadly, we were in an extreme minority as the virus found us anyway. Airport crowding is also a contributing factor.

• Like 1

I think the very best thing to do, if you can, is get your booster a few weeks prior to sailing.  It is the one thing that has been proven to work. Problem is that immunity wains after a few months 

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

I think the very best thing to do, if you can, is get your booster a few weeks prior to sailing.  It is the one thing that has been proven to work. Problem is that immunity wains after a few months 

Yes, we had our second booster at the very end of March. Should have waited until later.

6 minutes ago, Gray Lady said:

Yes, we had our second booster at the very end of March. Should have waited until later.

I sailed in April on my first booster (October).  As nerdy as I am I studied the information and judged the immunity loss curve for my personal profile, I sent the DH, whose profile is a bit more fragile, to the doctor for an antibody test.  Using that information we decided to wait.  I sail Saturday so got my booster 10 days ago.  He will get his in August right before the Alaska sailing (he is not sailing this month)

33 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Sadly, we are not eligible for our second booster yet, since this is selected for age groups here and ours is not up yet.

I've consulted closely with my Doctor and he does not recommend the second booster at this time since we had Covid just a month ago.  Last night we passed our rapid Antigen test to start our land portion of our triple Denali.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Btimmer said:

I've consulted closely with my Doctor and he does not recommend the second booster at this time since we had Covid just a month ago.  Last night we passed our rapid Antigen test to start our land portion of our triple Denali.

Which test results probably nobody will ask for, like us and many others experienced. 

• Like 1

We are nearing the end of our Yukon triple Denali tour. We are in Dawson City and flying to Whitehorse later tomorrow. We left 10 people behind in Fairbanks as they tested positive for Covid. That was out of a group of 37. We lost 2 people in Denali for the same reason. None of them wore a mask while we were traveling during the land tour. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Travelswitheva said:

We are nearing the end of our Yukon triple Denali tour. We are in Dawson City and flying to Whitehorse later tomorrow. We left 10 people behind in Fairbanks as they tested positive for Covid. That was out of a group of 37. We lost 2 people in Denali for the same reason. None of them wore a mask while we were traveling during the land tour. 

Can only concur what our experiences were with mask wearing and high number of positive cases on our land portion and they were the same. Also reading the live report from fellow cruiser @Btimmerwho had similar experiences

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 2:42 PM, Btimmer said:

That means you should be protected the entire trip. I almost wish we had caught it a few months before our trip. Would have been an added layer of protection.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
1 hour ago, McGarrett5oh said:

We just booked the HAL Double Denali for June 2024 and found your report so very helpful.  I read alot of reviews on ths site in preparation for our cruises and I must tell you this is one the very best I've ever seen posted.

Thank you!

Cheers!

Your welcome, we ourselves were lacking many information in our preparation, so decided share our findings for others to use, so great to find that it is proving useful!

• 3 months later...

Thank you so much for a great compilation of this tour.

we have this one booked for June 2024, travelling from Australia.

we mow feel that we know so much more than we did before.

hoping that we are as lucky with the weather as you were.

9 hours ago, BINDY31 said:

Thank you so much for a great compilation of this tour.

we have this one booked for June 2024, travelling from Australia.

we mow feel that we know so much more than we did before.

hoping that we are as lucky with the weather as you were.

You’re welcome, just like I learned from previous reviews and reports from other fellow cruisers before us, I hope that future guests can benefit from this one.

• Like 1