On-Board Photography

Sa1lAway

On 9/4/2022 at 8:13 PM, Cpt Pugwash said:

The Photographers on the Quayside ARE those from the ship trying to get you to but a photo next to the ship. Yes i can see your point and others of wanting them there to take 'Special' Photo's but it's the Hard Sell that annoys me everywhere you go they want to sell you a Photo. My first cruise i took over a 1,000 photo's then deleted the ones i didn't like, do you think i want or need anybody to take my Photo.? Especially with my head sticking through a hole on a board like they wanted everyone to queue at Southampton for Including every person not interested in one.

I don ‘t recognise the ‘hard sell’ you talk of. I am aware that the photographers on the quay are the same as on board but not once have I been forced to have my picture taken, either with head through a hole or not. It’s a free service that I can opt into or out of as I wish. I too take usually well over a thousand pictures every holiday (nearer 2000 on a two week break) but I don’t end up with pictures of my wife and I. That’s why I appreciate a professionally taken portrait. My choice, my money. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Photographers are slowly returning but not on all ships at the same speed. Cunard and the adults only ships were due to be the first focus followed by the rest.

Even on those ships where they return, its likely that there will be less as modern camera phones have killed most of the sales so its largely what is needed to cover weddings and events.

There were none on QV 2wks ago a lot of people grumbling particularly on formal nights when everyone was in their finery me included. All the ones taken for us by kind fellow travellers on my phone were awful 😖 should take a look at how Marella do it thro touch screens linked to your cruise card which means they only have to print what you the customer want or you can have the pics downloaded to USB or emailed. 

We must all realise that photographers onboard are exactly that. They take photo's and are probably paid a meagre wage enhanced by sales as with cars, double glazing etc. Many of them are very nice people and if you don't wish to have your photo taken then just decline. I must admit sometime they position themselves where it is difficult to avoid them and it can when you are a bit hot and bothered be annoying. But I feel it's best to politely decline rather than go off on one.

• Like 8