MTD on Adventure of the Seas

What is happening with MTD on the Adventure? I haven't heard anything and was wondering if I should switch to the traditional time dining if there has been problems lately on the ship. For those that has sailed recently, can you share your MTD experience?

• Like 1

Hello!  My small family (husband, myself and 8 year old son) were just on Adventure a few weeks ago.  This was our fourth cruise with Royal and the first time we'd tried MTD.  We quickly realized it was not for us.  The first night we arrived at our reserved time but it still felt like the reservation meant nothing as we were brought to a table that was still in the process of being turned over.  The waitstaff at that table were very friendly and since we had the same reservation time every night, they told us we'd be with them for the length of the cruise.  This did not end up being the case.  The next evening, even with our reservation, they had to work to find us an open table which we were sat at for the following evening as well.  The last evening however was the worst.  Again, we were on time for our reservation, yet there seemed to be another scramble to find us a table.  Mind you they divided the MTD line between those with and without reservations so one would assume they would be ready for those with reservations.  I have never felt the need to complain about wait staff onboard any of the ships we've sailed on however, this wait staff this last night barley acknowledged us at their table for the first 10 minutes we sat there.  It took a much longer time than we are used to for our food to come, and my husband's was cold as if it had sat at their prep-station for a while. 

While MTD was a disappointment to us, the cruise itself was wonderful as usual.  I believe the ship was near capacity but didn't feel crowded.  The activities were enjoyable and ship-wide the crew were very energetic and friendly.  We are fairly easy going people, but my husband and I both agreed that it was clear to us that the waitstaff found MT diners to be a nuisance, especially the pair we had on the last night.  I don't entirely blame them.  We're sprung on them in the middle of the dining times.  I can see how MTD may work for some, but normally we really enjoy getting to know our wait staff through the length of the sailing.  We've had some really great experiences in the Main Dining Rooms on Royal Caribbean ships and it's something we look forward to as we get geared up before each sailing.  Our next cruise is over Thanksgiving on Anthem and we are returning to the traditional dining time even if we don't love the time choices. 

Again, to each their own.  What works for us does not for others.  I'm glad we chose a short sailing (4 nights only) to try MTD.  Happy Sailing on Adventure!  I hope you found this review helpful!   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HappyHuman said:

Hello!  My small family (husband, myself and 8 year old son) were just on Adventure a few weeks ago.  This was our fourth cruise with Royal and the first time we'd tried MTD.  We quickly realized it was not for us.  The first night we arrived at our reserved time but it still felt like the reservation meant nothing as we were brought to a table that was still in the process of being turned over.  The waitstaff at that table were very friendly and since we had the same reservation time every night, they told us we'd be with them for the length of the cruise.  This did not end up being the case.  The next evening, even with our reservation, they had to work to find us an open table which we were sat at for the following evening as well.  The last evening however was the worst.  Again, we were on time for our reservation, yet there seemed to be another scramble to find us a table.  Mind you they divided the MTD line between those with and without reservations so one would assume they would be ready for those with reservations.  I have never felt the need to complain about wait staff onboard any of the ships we've sailed on however, this wait staff this last night barley acknowledged us at their table for the first 10 minutes we sat there.  It took a much longer time than we are used to for our food to come, and my husband's was cold as if it had sat at their prep-station for a while. 

While MTD was a disappointment to us, the cruise itself was wonderful as usual.  I believe the ship was near capacity but didn't feel crowded.  The activities were enjoyable and ship-wide the crew were very energetic and friendly.  We are fairly easy going people, but my husband and I both agreed that it was clear to us that the waitstaff found MT diners to be a nuisance, especially the pair we had on the last night.  I don't entirely blame them.  We're sprung on them in the middle of the dining times.  I can see how MTD may work for some, but normally we really enjoy getting to know our wait staff through the length of the sailing.  We've had some really great experiences in the Main Dining Rooms on Royal Caribbean ships and it's something we look forward to as we get geared up before each sailing.  Our next cruise is over Thanksgiving on Anthem and we are returning to the traditional dining time even if we don't love the time choices. 

Again, to each their own.  What works for us does not for others.  I'm glad we chose a short sailing (4 nights only) to try MTD.  Happy Sailing on Adventure!  I hope you found this review helpful!   

Thanks for sharing your experiences on your recent cruise.  I have a few follow up questions if you are willing.  
Do you know what time did MTD opened on you Adventure cruise?

What time(s) were your reservations?

How long were the reservation/no reservation lines at your reserved times?

Edited by Starry Eyes

We were on the 8/4 sailing. I believe my time dining opened at 6:45 pm. We had 7 pm or 7:30 pm reservations depending on the night. The lines were no less than 10 minutes waiting. There should no wait for reservations. It seemed that the check in system they have is very unorganized each evening.  We prefer traditional dining but the times are either too early or late. Wish they would start my time dining at 6 pm

• Thanks 1

We did early, but there seemed to be angry people on line whenever we left the main dining hall.  We are sailing back into Bayonne right on the adventure now, so my guess is it hasn't been fixed, but I'm not 100% sure because we chose early, which worked out well.  Might be better to switch onboard if you can

Edited by kitkat343
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

I'm wondering (and hoping) that once kids go back to school, MTD will improve🤞🤞🤞

Well, if ships are a bit less full when kids are back in school, that might help, but on the other hand I would guess dinners in Windjammer might appeal (on average) more to families with kids than fall travelers….so don’t hold your breath😁

18 hours ago, suncruiser said:

We were on the 8/4 sailing. I believe my time dining opened at 6:45 pm. We had 7 pm or 7:30 pm reservations depending on the night. The lines were no less than 10 minutes waiting. There should no wait for reservations. It seemed that the check in system they have is very unorganized each evening.  We prefer traditional dining but the times are either too early or late. Wish they would start my time dining at 6 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I had hoped lines for those with reservations might have resolved by 7:30; evidently not.

If they first use the same tables for early traditional dining (the re-vamped system), they cannot open MTD at 6 pm as early traditional diners are still in those seats.  I wish they’d go back to the original MTD system (MTD opening before traditional dining) but I see no sign of that.

19 minutes ago, NikkiandMom said:

Husband and I recently had MTD on Adventure. I was able to make 6 PM reservation through cruise planner. We never had to wait more than a few minutes and had excellent service. Maybe try that.

How long ago did you make those reservations?  I know you sailed recently but did you make those reservations long ago?

6 hours ago, NikkiandMom said:

Husband and I recently had MTD on Adventure. I was able to make 6 PM reservation through cruise planner. We never had to wait more than a few minutes and had excellent service. Maybe try that.

I also made my reservations through cruise planner about a month ago and got my MTD reservations for 6pm. Our sailing is on the Adventure 9/29/2022 Canada/New England.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bren61 said:

I also made my reservations through cruise planner about a month ago and got my MTD reservations for 6pm. Our sailing is on the Adventure 9/29/2022 Canada/New England.

Thank you Brenda for resurrecting this thread! Still hoping someone who just got off Adventure in the past week or two and did MTD will chime in with their experience 😊

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Thank you Brenda for resurrecting this thread! Still hoping someone who just got off Adventure in the past week or two and did MTD will chime in with their experience 😊

Sure thing!! Maybe when we return we can help others out on how our experience was. I'm hoping for the best.