? regarding names assigned to cabin re: 19 year old

Hello there, I booked a cruise for my husband, myself and 19 year old son. We tried to book him in his own cabin and me/my husband in our own but were told you have to be 21 to have your own cabin. We booked with my husband in 1 cabin and me and my son in another. I thought we could obviously just change where we sleep but now i'm realizing it may not be that easy, especially when it comes to adding drink packages, etc. Any suggestions on how this could work? I've tried searching for answers but can't find any. Seems silly my 19 year old son can't have his own room. 

6 minutes ago, sashacruiser said:

I thought we could obviously just change where we sleep but now i'm realizing it may not be that easy, especially when it comes to adding drink packages,

It will be that easy - since he’s under age you won’t need to buy the package for him. You will need an extra card to get into the cabin with DH. Also, you do want to book that way so DH gets extra C&A points. 

Edited by Biker19

If you are collecting C&A points to gain status for you and hubby (linked in C&A system so both spouses benefit), then you may indeed want an adult booked as the solo.  That solo will get an extra point per night.  If you do this, the same spouse should always be the one booked as the solo to maximize the effect for the couple.

OTOH, If a suite with suite benefits is involved, you have an incentive to get the adults into the same cabin to reap those benefits.  You did not mention that, so I presume not.

If you decide you want son booked in cabin solo, he should be in a cabin adjacent to or directly across the hall from his parents.  You need to call to make such reservations; you cannot do them online.

If your current booking is nonrefundable, it may not be worth it to make changes this time.  You can get “extra card” for to open your husband’s cabin from guest services.  You’ll just carry two cards; perhaps you’d do that anyway so you could go to son’s cabin.

Edited by Starry Eyes

To simplify: we did this with my 15 year old daughter. When we got on we just let her stay in the room and my husband and I stayed in our room. We were right next door. She had her own room key and the cabin steward certainly didn’t care that we switched.