Booked Sails for Unvaccinated Granddaughters (12+)--Risky ?

nelblu

I booked a sail on Oasis for August 20, 2023, for my D, SIL and my 2 granddaughters (not vaxxed) to join my son's family and me.  We used to sail as a family around Easter time prior to the pandemic.  The H&S protocol had prevented them from joining us until the recent announced updated H&S protocols.  Tried to pump the agent for some reassurances in case the protocols change again, unfortunately he wasn't able to answer my questions.  

Also, wanted to wait until I boarded Allure on Sept. 3rd and book on board where the risk would have been $400 vs $1,000, but I did not want to lose adjoining cabins that were available.

Took the risk?   Asked for a 24-hour hold, but the confusing part is that the deposits are not due until August 29th.

Updated Protocols: U.S. Departures 9‐Nights or less

Below find our updated protocols for U.S. departures that are 9 nights or less — excluding sailings to Bermuda and Canada. Should there be any changes, we are committed to keeping you informed.

All Guests, All Aboard
Beginning September 5th, 2022 we are welcoming all guests, regardless of vaccination status, on most U.S. departures.

Vaccination Recommended
If eligible, we recommend that guests joining us be fully vaccinated against COVID‐19. While vaccination is not required, we kindly ask you disclose your status during check-in to ensure we maintain a highly vaccinated onboard population.

31 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Asked for a 24-hour hold, but the confusing part is that the deposits are not due until August 29th

Depending on how far out the sailing is Cruising power automatically defaults to a preset number of days for a hold.  It can be 1,2, 7 or other number of days.  TA's also have the option in most cases to extend this however they do not have the option to change what is initially set by Royal

33 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Tried to pump the agent for some reassurances in case the protocols change again,

No one can give you any reassurances that things will not change in the future.  All you can hope for is that Royal does the right thing and if you booked and met all the requirements at booking then if things change they should honor a refund.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Depending on how far out the sailing is Cruising power automatically defaults to a preset number of days for a hold.  It can be 1,2, 7 or other number of days.  TA's also have the option in most cases to extend this however they do not have the option to change what is initially set by Royal

In essence the 24 hours hod period is not as stated.  The holding period for a reserve can be as high as a week.  Even at my age, I learn something new every day.🤣

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

No one can give you any reassurances that things will not change in the future.  All you can hope for is that Royal does the right thing and if you booked and met all the requirements at booking then if things change they should honor a refund.

I had 4 cabins booked for Harmony sailing on Easter, 20, and what a hassle/frustration getting the right amounts of FCCs and the ability to use them.  Now, thank God, I only have some $150 left from the original $10k.

IMO, it's more likely they'll give up the tests entirely by next year. The CDC is backpedaling like crazy. The remaining tests on the unvaccinated seem to be mostly a formality. Moral panics can't last forever.

If they're still doing tests next year (doubtful), buy extra so you can retest to rule out false positives if you get any positives.