Help me plan Amber Cove in December

DevilDogsWifey215

Cruising for Christmas! We're stopping at Amber Cove on a Thursday and are available for activities 9 to 4. (dock at 8 and depart at 5)

I'd like to do the following:

*7 Falls

*Fort San Felipe

*cable car

*Pico Isabel de Torres

*Beach time (picturesque and not crowded but cheaply accessible)

Do you think these can be managed? I'm concerned about the falls excursions. They say anywhere from 2.5 to 5 hours (different companies but same discriptions). And my understanding is it's an hour away? What other suggestions for actually experiencing the island? (Not the copy and paste touristy stuff like dolphins that you can do almost anywhere, I wanna see and feel D.R.)

7 falls will need about 3 to 4 hours once you get there. It’s about an hour each way from Puerto Plata. The cable car is a 10 minute ride each way, plus time at the top, which is where the statue and park are. Budget 2.5 hours? (Remember, the cable car runs every 25 minutes or so. I don’t know if there will be a line requiring you to wait). The fort will require at least 30 minutes. Plus travel time.

If you’re on our sailing, Amber Cove is on the 24th of December. Christmas Eve schedules may affect availability.

We went zip lining and the falls this summer. We went independently and did a long strenuous hike make sure you have sone closed toe keens or Merrells, flip flops won’t cut it. We hiked did probably 8 zip lines  4 falls then ate a delicious lunch .

it took up most of the day and when it was over and had eaten we were pretty much toast. The excursion was out of this world

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Nicoletica said:

Hi all, Anyone has done the falls on their own? Rent a car from Amber cove and go? Suggestions and cost? 

I don’t think they allow you to do it on your own. When we were there in 2018 they told us that it was accessible only by licensed tour companies because of safety concerns. When we did it I got sucked under one of the waterfalls and the professional swimmers had to pull me out. They require helmets and life vests. It’s not for a non swimmer. 

Edited by AngieG55
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 9:06 AM, Wakepatrol said:

We went zip lining and the falls this summer. We went independently and did a long strenuous hike make sure you have sone closed toe keens or Merrells, flip flops won’t cut it. We hiked did probably 8 zip lines  4 falls then ate a delicious lunch .

it took up most of the day and when it was over and had eaten we were pretty much toast. The excursion was out of this world

HI - would you mind sharing who you used for this excursion?  It is exactly what we want to do but we prefer to start early and beat the crowds.

2 hours ago, nycny said:

HI - would you mind sharing who you used for this excursion?  It is exactly what we want to do but we prefer to start early and beat the crowds.

We booked withi Iguana Mama. We met them outside the cruise gates and jumped in a brand new van with the plastic still on the seats

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, WhatshouldIsay said:

We are leaving on the same day as well BUT we haven't found out if we are in Amber Cove or Taino Bay so it has been difficult to plan.

Your cruise line should be able to tell you where you are docking. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...