Transfer from Rome to Civitavecchia

bigds3

Hello, all. We've never cruised in Europe before. We'll be spending 2 days in Rome before getting on the cruise NEXT July. I've read about the Civitavecchia Express as an option from downtown Rome to the port. Is this a possibility? Are there are economical choices we could make if that's not one? I'd like to spend the money on excursions and experiences, not rides to places. Thanks!

The cruise departs at 7:00PM.

Even with a relatively late departure time, I doubt that the Civitavecchia Express timing will work for you as the Rome to Civitavecchia run doesn't arrive until 17:20 (5:20 PM).

There are other train options, the least expensive but most uncomfortable is the regional train, with no place to store luggage and no assigned seating.

More expensive, but still a bargain, would be the Frecce train.  You have several timing options throughout the day, room for luggage storage and assigned seats.  Purchased in advance these tickets can be as low as 10 euro.  

When comparing the train option to others, like a car service, be sure to factor in the cost of getting to the train station in Rome and from the station in Civitavecchia to the port so you're doing an apples-to-apples comparison.

• Like 1

hi Euro cruiser, thnks for answering so many transfer questions.  I managed to purchase reserve seats on the intercity train from Roma Termini to CIT- did you say more than likely these trains depart from tracks that are closer than the Regional trains - do you recall approx which track platforms they will be departing from.  thanks.