Newly Purchased Mobility Scooter. Advice Needed.

Guindalf

We bought a Golden BuzzAround LT three-wheeled scooter today and I was wondering how it would be handled by the airline. I know we’ll have no problem with X (we’ll be on Solstice in January in an accessible Sky Suite). However, we’re flying Delta from Atlanta to John Wayne in L.A.

This will be the first time flying with a scooter, so is there anything I need to do or consider?

I've had a scooter for a very long time.  I learned a long time ago to ride my scooter to the gate, gate check it, ride it down to the plane, let the ground crew take it to the hold.  Make sure you notify the crew at the gate that you will be gate checking your scooter.   It will be waiting for you at the door of the airplane when you arrive.  If  you have to change planes, it will be the same procedure.  As a side note, you will need some extra time, as the scooter is usually the last one unloaded and brought up to the plane.  Delta is very accommodating, as are both John Wayne and ATL.  

I hope your suite is accessible and you have let the cruise line know about the scooter.

Have a great trip.

Yes, we have an accessible suite booked. The original plan was to rent from Special Needs At Sea, which I booked, but won't need. I think I'll lose $50 for cancelling, but having my own should be a lot better!

Thanks for your reply.

On 9/17/2022 at 4:34 PM, Guindalf said:

This will be the first time flying with a scooter, so is there anything I need to do or consider?

I'm sure that you are aware, but you must let the airline know in advance that you will be traveling with a mobility scooter.  There is no charge for taking it, but they have to allow for the weight and provide instructions to you based on which type of battery the scooter has.

Happy travels!

On 9/20/2022 at 8:21 AM, Schoifmom said:

I'm sure that you are aware, but you must let the airline know in advance that you will be traveling with a mobility scooter.  There is no charge for taking it, but they have to allow for the weight and provide instructions to you based on which type of battery the scooter has.

Happy travels!

Thanks. Already done. There are no issues and the scooter will go on the plane without problem.