Buffet Self Service

Scotico

16 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Very interesting observation. Assume everyone washes their hands before entering the Windjammer. The tongs should not be contaminated. Now, I use the uncontaminated tongs to grab a hamburger to put on a roll which I used tongs. Still good good to go. I then use my hands to eat the hamburger. My hands should be clean but now I go back for more food and use the tongs. Did I lick my fingers after eating the last of the burger?

Unfortunately, these very actions occur at any buffet in America such as Golden Corral but they do not request or observe you washing your hands. This also occurs at most wedding events, birthdays, and anniversaries unless you are served sit down plates. In this scenario, you are subject to the good sanitation practices of your servers. Did they wash their hands thoroughly before serving you? Sanitation is at the mercy of the weakest link of storage, preparation, cooking, and serving of the dish.

I have been very lucky to not have been the recipient of any type of food problem on board ships. Everyone has to weigh their comfort level when you have very close contact with a large amount of people in a very confined space.

Exactly...first run may (or may not) be fine.  Someone sneeze or coughs (droplets could easily be on hands), blows their nose without washing hands, and then uses the shared tong...it's spread again.

We were on Anthem in March.  Although it slowed things down, and it was harder to take just a taste of something or for example a "small" amount of syrup (no matter how I asked, they always gave me a large amount), I preferred the staff serving at the buffet.  It was just so much cleaner.  I've always been a germaphobe and would often use a paper towel or something when picking up the tongs.  Never trusted them.  

7 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Exactly...first run may (or may not) be fine.  Someone sneeze or coughs (droplets could easily be on hands), blows their nose without washing hands, and then uses the shared tong...it's spread again.

We were on Anthem in March.  Although it slowed things down, and it was harder to take just a taste of something or for example a "small" amount of syrup (no matter how I asked, they always gave me a large amount), I preferred the staff serving at the buffet.  It was just so much cleaner.  I've always been a germaphobe and would often use a paper towel or something when picking up the tongs.  Never trusted them.  

My wife and I were on the Anthem for an 8 day at the end of April and they were allowing self serve. I did notice that they had many premade items such as smoked salmon on a half-bagel with trimmings. They also had the option to allow people to self serve the same individual pieces.

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
  • Like 1