Magic 7/23 Canada Cruised Changed to Bermuda?

Queenvee

My friend has never cruised before but has been inspired by my cruising so she booked a short voyage on the Magic from NY to Novia Scotia and back in July 2023.  She just got an email that the voyage is now going to Bermuda!!  I've never heard of entire itineraries being changed, except for hurricanes, wars and other catastrophic events.  Anyone have any thoughts about why it was changed?  since she really wanted to go to Canada (and NY is a convenient departure), I've suggested that she work with her agent to find a replacement voyage.  Curious if anyone has any insights - thanks!

When i checked other websites the only Canada cruise i can find for the Magic in July 2023 is a 4 day cruise that was going to Saint John, New Brunswick  Carnival website now shows it as a Bermuda cruise 

Saint John only has capacity for 3 cruise ships. If a berth no longer becomes available on that day the ship is in port, then the itinerary needs to be changed to another port  

Yes, that's the cruise she chose as her "starter" cruise.  It seems odd to me that a scheduled cruise itinerary would be changed.  I was just in St John last month on a HAL ship and know it has limited berths, but for a cruise to have been scheduled and then moved to a whole new itinerary seems odd. 

I have a slight inkling that perhaps some of the Nova Scotia ports are limiting the number of cruise ship passengers allowed per year - I can't remember where I read that and can't find it on internet.  If that's the case, then maybe ships/lines with just one Canada port are being denied permission (in order to maximize the tourist dollars coming into Canada; in other words, if a ship is visiting St John, Halifax, Charlotte, they might be granted permission versus one that is only going to St John).  I'm just hypothesizing here!

I suspect that this has something to do with the Costa Venezia coming to New York next summer. Generally, when Carnival has two ships sailing out of New York in the summer, one will do Caribbean itineraries, and the other will do the Canada itineraries. We have a Canada cruise as part of a B2B on the Magic next September, so we'll be keeping an eye on this. I believe more changes are coming. :classic_cool:

Edited by Jamman54

• 2 weeks later...