Need Hotel recommendations please for Los Angeles

jondan

We're coming from Canada.  Need 3 nights before cruise, and ideally want to explore LA/Universal. 

One night after cruise with a VERY early flight the following day (so not far from LAX, I guess). 

Suggestions? 

Thanks!!

With three nights prior, the real question is to what extent you are focusing on Universal...versus how much is a more generalized sightseeing in the larger LA area...

If you really just want to focus on Universal (which is really, at this point, just a large movie-themed amusement park--for which I wouldn't devote more to than one day...or part of one day) and other movie/TV studios...then go head and stay right at Universal (Hilton or Sheraton) or somewhere at the center of Hollywood ---Loews Hollyeood, Hollywood Roosevelt, Magic Castle...But, be aware--most of Hollywood can be a bit scuzzy...and stay away from any bargain hotels you find in this area...PLEASE....

My best recommendation is, with multiple pre-cruise nights, to stay in Santa Monica--near the SM Pier/Third Street Promenade/Palisades Park...Fairmont Miramar, Loews, Marriott LeMarigot, Shutters at the Beach, Huntley, Georgian, Casa Del Mar, Hampton Inn, Marriott Courtyard, Wyndham, Ocean View.  Lots to do within walking distance...and easy to get to Universal/Hollywood via organized tour, HOHO bus or even the Metro.

For one night after with early flight, the one time I'd say to stay near LAX...either one of the large chain LAX adjacent hotels along Century Blvd. west of the 405...or down in El Segundo just South of LAX--most have free airport shuttles...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

If you really just want to focus on Universal (which is really, at this point, just a large movie-themed amusement park--for which I wouldn't devote more to than one day...or part of one day) and other movie/TV studios

Seconded-- this is really a long afternoon. It's tiny compared to most theme parks-- don't think you need the same amount of time devoted to this as you would something larger like Disneyland. 

3 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Loews Hollyeood, Hollywood Roosevelt, Magic Castle...But, be aware--most of Hollywood can be a bit scuzzy...and stay away from any bargain hotels you find in this area...

Magic Castle is a fun recommendation here as it gives you access to the Magic Castle at night which is a private magician's club and one of LA's quirkier and fun nights out. The hotel, while nice, isn't anything to write home about-- the main attraction is the access it gives you. Would only really do it for one night and only if access to the Magic Castle was of interest (which is should be-- it's a lot of fun). 

A few others that are adjacent I would add to that is the Sunset Tower Hotel, Chateau Marmont (which is nearly impossible to get a reservation for but they do exist occasionally and it doesn't get more old Hollywood), and the newish Pendry West Hollywood. 

If money is no object check out The Beverly Hills Hotel a little further afield is spectacular and if you are looking for something more on a budget you can usually get some deals at The Hollywood Roosevelt that are decent for the quality of accommodation. If you are staying in Hollywood a dinner at Musso & Frank is a great night out for some old school atmosphere (and a very stiff martini). 

Thanks everyone.  I found an airbnb that looks gorgeous and has stellar reviews (West Hollywood) so hopefully that will work out.   

I'll hunt for a LAX hotel or Santa Monica hotel for the last night...just not sure what to do with the luggage that last day, but we'll figure something out.   One of us is only 20 (legal in Canada, but a minor in the US...bummer!!) so something like Magic Castle is out.  😞

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 9:39 AM, jondan said:

Thanks everyone.  I found an airbnb that looks gorgeous and has stellar reviews (West Hollywood) so hopefully that will work out.  

Double check the legality of the Airbnb in West Hollywood; the city has very strict laws on STRs.

If your flight from LAX is 'very' early, as in before 7AM, stay at LAX in a hotel like the H2 Hotel/Homewood Suites or Residence Inn.