Miami airport to Fort Lauderdale help

mugwood

Hello all, looking for some advice for our upcoming cruise in November.

we fly into MIA from UK at around 8pm, our cruise is three days later.

At present, I have booked a hotel local to the airport for one night, and the next two nights.at the riverside in Fort Lauderdale.

What is my best / easiest way to get between the two?

I don’t have an Uber account, and I stress about Taxi being held up in traffic🤭.

So should I look at using the train service and book nearer downtown Miami on night 1, or stick with the airport hotel?

reverse journey is also required on debark day.

Thanks in advance.

If it were me, I would stay in Ft Lauderdale bc Miami is more expensive in my opinion. I'd save that cash for the excursions. 

When we landed (4 of us) in Ft. Lauderdale, we took a private shuttle to the port. 

If it's only 2 of you, I would do uber (just set up account), shuttle, or taxi. They ALL know how to get around from the airport to port. 

13 hours ago, mugwood said:

What is my best / easiest way to get between the two?

Depends on your comfort level. There are some shuttle services with fixed rates (not including tip) that would fit the bill. There's also FlixBus which runs between MIA and FLL airports and is super, super cheap. The Brightline is a privately owned railroad service that goes to other places in Florida but would get you between MIA and FLL as well.

The nice thing about being in that area is that you have a ton of options, you just have to decide which is easiest for you.

We used Larry's Limos to take us from MIA airport to our Fort Lauderdale hotel.  We have also used them to collect us from our hotel in Miami and take us to the ship in Fort Lauderdale and they have met us on debarking the ship to take us to our hotel in Miami.

When we had a flight leaving MIA on debark day we took a ship's tour that included the transfer to the airport.

• Like 1

If you can handle your bags you can easily take the Tri-Rail train from MIA airport to one of the stops in the FLL area (ask your hotel which one is closest) - then taxi or Uber from the train to your hotel.  Train ticket should be under $5 each.

Thanks for the suggestion and may use a mix of the ideas.

We will stay at the airport hotel on the night of arrival, reasonable rate  at best western north.

In the morning we will either try Uber or take a taxi to brightline station - does this sound feasible 

17 hours ago, mugwood said:

Thanks for the suggestion and may use a mix of the ideas.

We will stay at the airport hotel on the night of arrival, reasonable rate  at best western north.

In the morning we will either try Uber or take a taxi to brightline station - does this sound feasible 

Taxi to downtown (about $30) to catch the more expensive Brightline, or hotel shuttle to MIA to catch the $5 Tri-Rail.  I know which one I would choose, but it is your call.

If any of this helps you owe me a pint - I prefer the old style "heavy" but will be happy with whatever your local pours! 😎

4 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Taxi to downtown (about $30) to catch the more expensive Brightline, or hotel shuttle to MIA to catch the $5 Tri-Rail.  I know which one I would choose, but it is your call.

If any of this helps you owe me a pint - I prefer the old style "heavy" but will be happy with whatever your local pours! 😎

I was concerned that the tri rail would not have storage areas for the cases.

if it is suitable for riding with the fairly big cases nearby, then you are welcome to a pint or two of McEwans export,