booking direct with Viking

oceandream

9 minutes ago, leishirsute said:

...I decided to pay for trip insurance during the phone call, but the trip insurance cost went up by $200's during the call. 

Viking's trip insurance (TripMate) isn't very highly-regarded by members of this forum; I decided to go with an alternate company (AIG) and seem to have gotten a good policy, although one never knows until a claim is actually filed. Insurance companies are known for doing anything they can to avoid paying claims, and there are countless stories of disappointed cruisers who were left without compensation for various situations. 

9 minutes ago, leishirsute said:

some folks on here have mentioned that they get pricing deals from travel agents.  I haven't had that good fortune.

Viking allows a very small discount by TAs, and it only amounts to an OBC based on the length of the cruise. Viking won't let TAs discount cruise pricing at all.

1 hour ago, longterm said:

Viking's trip insurance (TripMate) isn't very highly-regarded by members of this forum; I decided to go with an alternate company (AIG) and seem to have gotten a good policy, although one never knows until a claim is actually filed. Insurance companies are known for doing anything they can to avoid paying claims, and there are countless stories of disappointed cruisers who were left without compensation for various situations. 

Viking allows a very small discount by TAs, and it only amounts to an OBC based on the length of the cruise. Viking won't let TAs discount cruise pricing at all.

We've had to use Trip Insurance twice.  Each time was a debate with the insurance company over coverage.  I had to get the Tour company involved on one when the trip insurance only wanted to cover missed hotel nights and not the cost of the missed tour days.

1 hour ago, leishirsute said:

+ When I read the Client Contract, it states that Viking can arbitrarily raise the cost of the cruise depending on fuel prices.  So, if not paid in full and locked in, the price of the cruise can change from the time of deposit.  The supervisor and agent said they have never seen that happen, but after the trip insurance increase, I was concerned.

This is boiler plate text that is included in the Terms & Conditions of every cruise we have taken. Fuel is the largest cost for cruise lines, so they have to protect themselves against significant price increases.

I have never experienced a bunker surcharge in over 45 yrs of cruising.