United will not resume EWR service to Bergen in 2023

FlyerTalker

United announced new routes for summer travel to Europe.  Although almost all of the routes that were put in for 2022 Summer have been renewed, the non-stop service from Newark to Bergen will not return, due to poor economic performance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, margu1241 said:

Very disappointing, we had that booked for next summer, got the cancellation notice yesterday and have now switched to KLM. Had United points I wanted to use but will have another opportunity in 2024

You do know that you could use those same UA Mileage Plus points for flights on partner airlines.  This includes year round service to Bergen by Lufthansa and SAS, along with seasonal service on Swiss from Zurich.

Plus, you can often get better redemption values on partners than on UA.

Edited by FlyerTalker

3 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

You do know that you could use those same UA Mileage Plus points for flights on partner airlines.  This includes year round service to Bergen by Lufthansa and SAS, along with seasonal service on Swiss from Zurich.

Plus, you can often get better redemption values on partners than on UA.

Yes, we knew that but we weren’t excited about the flight options from the west coast. We’d only considered the United Newark to Bergen because it was non stop into Bergen. Knowing that we have another international trip planned we decided to save our miles for that. 

1 hour ago, margu1241 said:

Yes, we knew that but we weren’t excited about the flight options from the west coast. We’d only considered the United Newark to Bergen because it was non stop into Bergen. Knowing that we have another international trip planned we decided to save our miles for that. 

So....a one-connection itinerary through EWR was OK, but a one-connection routing through Copenhagen or Frankfurt wasn't?  Especially because routing through CPH would give you more options if your flight had mechanical issues.

But to each their own.  (And FWIW, CPH is a much easier airport for connections than Newark.  And much more appealing, too.)

34 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

So....a one-connection itinerary through EWR was OK, but a one-connection routing through Copenhagen or Frankfurt wasn't?  Especially because routing through CPH would give you more options if your flight had mechanical issues.

But to each their own.  (And FWIW, CPH is a much easier airport for connections than Newark.  And much more appealing, too.)

🤣 I guess everyone has their personal preferences for travel. Can’t argue with you on EWR not being the best option. I’ve always preferred flying from west coast to somewhere in Europe first so it was a bit out of my comfort zone to connect on the east coast, but I liked the idea of waking up in Bergen. Doesn’t matter now anyway, happy to have found out so early and found a flight itinerary that works for us