Older Celebrity ships? Solstice or Eclipse?

Sigyn

On 10/14/2022 at 5:46 PM, Northern Aurora said:

Our OP is considering the Eclipse or Solstice for an  Alaska cruise.  We were on the Eclipse in May 2022  from  Vancouver to Hawaii, the Solstice for a B2B Alaska cruise in June, 2022, and again on the Solstice for another B2B in September 2022.  We were in three Sky Suites and one Celebrity Suite (we had to change staterooms on the September B2B).

While the decor is dated the ships are clean.   The staff is happy,  We had no issues with the food (we were dining in Luminae but did specialty dining and some meals in the Ocean  View Cafe).  On our September cruise one of the staterooms had a water temperature issue but our stateroom attendant immediately called a plumber and the issue was corrected within minutes.   So we had a minor issue in one of the 4 staterooms which was immediately corrected.

But one more comment from someone who lives in Alaska and periodically does Alaska itineraries since an Alaska cruise gives us the opportunity to visit another part of our very large state -- Celebrity offers three Alaska itineraries.  The three ships are the Millennium,  Solstice and the Eclipse.

In my opinion the best itinerary is the seven night  either north or southbound between Seward and Vancouver which is done on the Millennium.  While additional flying time is needed this is a great option to add a few days on land in  Alaska before or after a seven night cruise.  The Millennium has been "revolutionized" so has been updated.  When we were on the Millennium in September 2021 I was talking to a first time Celebrity cruiser and mentioned that the Millennium is the oldest Celebrity ship sailing, and he was visibly impressed.

The second best Alaska itinerary is the Eclipse RT out of Vancouver with the poorest, in my opinion, being the RT out of Seattle.  With the Eclipse itinerary the ship is almost immediately in scenic cruising while the Seattle RT has more time at sea away from land.

This is very useful information. Thank you so much. 

I was on the Solstice in July. The only area that looked tired was the pool in the Solarium.  Every other part of the ship was fine. 
As to the food, there are so many good choices in the MDR, you’d have to be a food snob or not appreciate good food to be dissatisfied. There were nights our group of 4 ordered extra entrees to share just to get a taste.

This was my first Celebrity cruise and I’m in the process of booking my next one.

The Solstice may not be shiny and new, but she’s intimate and welcoming.

Most any Celebrity   ship is good for Alaska , The main questions i would have   is are you booking a balcony cabin or  one with out a balcony ;because then you need a  ship with a good veranda  to walk & view the Alaska scenery . Another   question to ask is there a naturalist /ranger . Marine biologist  aboard to explain what you are seeing 

Imo a cruise to Alaska is like the topping  on a sundae .  The real taste of  Alaska   is traveling the interior  . We have been to Alaska 5 times   ^ would welcome another interior trip by flying directly into Anchorage or Fairbanks then renting a car . A great month is May before the tundra   becomes  water pools for the state bird ,the mosquito   .There are also black flies later in the year that can sting   

To see Denali National Park must make reservations 6 yo 9 months in advance  ,Take powerful binoculars   & a camera that has 200 & 300 millimeter  lense capability  

Best  place to stay near to the park is the Denali Lake View Inn  ,a   triple   A AA  3 diamond  bed & breakfast    just about 10 to 15  minute drive from the park entrance , The management is  great  Ask for a  box lunch to take on the tour of the park , ask them where best to eat lunches & dinners .They are locals .  This B&B over looks a amazing lake Otto with Geese Swans &  ducks .Next door is a ATV   place ,Take the tundra tour  .  Mt Mckinley is 20 ,300 feet tall . I was able to get clear  pictures  ,no clouds of both the North & south summits  . The tour is wonderful , don't forget to ask about the dog sled demo at the information  building in the park  

One last thing google :discount books in Alaska  .We had one & it saved us a bunch    in separate tours    . We did several 

Wear layered clothing like a short sleeve shirt /blouse ,slacks , bring a sweater  ,a wind breaker , wool  gloves & a umbrella , Alaska weather can change quickly  ,We were lucky in May have mid 70s & low 89s temps 

Best of  Alaska  is both a cruise &  then inland   .imo one with out the other is leaving short the real beauty & majesty 😀

On 10/20/2022 at 4:42 AM, mcrcruiser said:

Most any Celebrity   ship is good for Alaska , The main questions i would have   is are you booking a balcony cabin or  one with out a balcony ;because then you need a  ship with a good veranda  to walk & view the Alaska scenery . Another   question to ask is there a naturalist /ranger . Marine biologist  aboard to explain what you are seeing 

Imo a cruise to Alaska is like the topping  on a sundae .  The real taste of  Alaska   is traveling the interior  . We have been to Alaska 5 times   ^ would welcome another interior trip by flying directly into Anchorage or Fairbanks then renting a car . A great month is May before the tundra   becomes  water pools for the state bird ,the mosquito   .There are also black flies later in the year that can sting   

To see Denali National Park must make reservations 6 yo 9 months in advance  ,Take powerful binoculars   & a camera that has 200 & 300 millimeter  lense capability  

Best  place to stay near to the park is the Denali Lake View Inn  ,a   triple   A AA  3 diamond  bed & breakfast    just about 10 to 15  minute drive from the park entrance , The management is  great  Ask for a  box lunch to take on the tour of the park , ask them where best to eat lunches & dinners .They are locals .  This B&B over looks a amazing lake Otto with Geese Swans &  ducks .Next door is a ATV   place ,Take the tundra tour  .  Mt Mckinley is 20 ,300 feet tall . I was able to get clear  pictures  ,no clouds of both the North & south summits  . The tour is wonderful , don't forget to ask about the dog sled demo at the information  building in the park  

One last thing google :discount books in Alaska  .We had one & it saved us a bunch    in separate tours    . We did several 

Wear layered clothing like a short sleeve shirt /blouse ,slacks , bring a sweater  ,a wind breaker , wool  gloves & a umbrella , Alaska weather can change quickly  ,We were lucky in May have mid 70s & low 89s temps 

Best of  Alaska  is both a cruise &  then inland   .imo one with out the other is leaving short the real beauty & majesty 😀

Thank you for all your tips  regarding a visit to Alaska.  We are contemplating this.  What would be your recommendations on which type of stateroom to choose please.  We have been on Eclipse  a few times but never to Alaska.  We would be travelling a fair distance to join  the ship so would just hate to choose the wrong type of stateroom.

Alaska cruises you MUST have a balcony (we always book port side) - to enjoy all the scenery without jostling with other passengers on the railing.  And order room service and bathroom is nearby.  

Edited by PKB

On 10/14/2022 at 4:08 PM, crusinthrough said:

I don't know how Carnival ships became part of the conversations but I'll be in the minority and disagree with the comments.  Carnival Mardi Gras is different from Carnival's older ships and just as nice as an S class ship.  I enjoyed my Carnival cruise and all my Celebrity cruises. . . .

Glad you posted that because I share the sentiment. I'll add (to counter a later negative comment) that after our first cruise (years ago) on Royal and Celebrity, we were happy to get back to Carnival because the food just tasted better. But mind you this was years ago, and after the covid-induced universal meltdown, and post, I wonder how long dining venues of any sort will be able to sustain.

@njsmom: As for age, as others alluded, I don't consider a 10-12 yo cruise ship as being "old", especially when that are 25-yo ships still sailing without incident.

Perspective: Salt air can corrode the average metal, overnight, literally. Case in point, I lived in Florida for almost a decade (Air Force) and for 3 years within a quarter-mile of the beach. One night I left a fairly new pair of pliers outside in my screened-in deck, and the next afternoon I found it coated with rust. Any sea-sailing conveyance is highly prone to rust and I've seen my share of corrosion on cruise ships, but it was just surface rust which didn't affect much of anything beyond appearance.

My points are (1) it's a constant job keeping a cruise ship looking pretty, but (2) even when it doesn't look perfect, it doesn't mean the ship is going to disintegrate in even the next 10 years.

I sailed Eclipse in 2011 when she was just a year old and would not hesitate to book another cruise on any of the Summit class ships. In 16 days I'm boarding 11-yo Silhouette for a 10-day cruise and hugely looking forward to it. Book your best pick, relax, enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1