Hello,

I am looking at buying an annual travel medical policy. When checking into Geo Blue Trekker, I was told that if we are taken to one of their providers, we would incur no out of pocket costs (within the limits of the policy) and if we taken to an out of network, we would only pay the deductible. Does anyone know if this is correct? We have the ability to pay and be reimbursed, but this would obviously be much better. Just doesn't sound right to me. Can anyway confirm this or explain to me? I'm totally confused by insurance and have a fear that I mis-understand what to expect. Thank you so much for help.

On 10/19/2022 at 1:58 PM, kent4489 said:

Hello,

I am looking at buying an annual travel medical policy. When checking into Geo Blue Trekker, I was told that if we are taken to one of their providers, we would incur no out of pocket costs (within the limits of the policy) and if we taken to an out of network, we would only pay the deductible. Does anyone know if this is correct? We have the ability to pay and be reimbursed, but this would obviously be much better. Just doesn't sound right to me. Can anyway confirm this or explain to me? I'm totally confused by insurance and have a fear that I mis-understand what to expect. Thank you so much for help.

Hi kent4489,

I'm sorry about the delay responding. I thought this Q & A was closed to new questions.

Here's the wording from Geo Blue's Individual Certificate of Coverage:

International/Foreign Country Providers
If You are outside the United States, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, Covered Expenses for these Foreign Country Providers are based on the Usual & Customary Fee, if applicable, which may be less than actual billed Charges. Foreign Country Providers can bill the Covered Person for amounts exceeding Covered Expenses. GeoBlue provides a list to Covered Persons of Foreign Country Providers with whom GeoBlue has contracted to accept assignment of claims and direct payments from Us or Our Administrator for Covered Expenses incurred by Covered Persons, thus alleviating the necessity of the Covered Person paying the Foreign Country Provider and submitting a claim for reimbursement. This particular group of Foreign Country Providers are a group of Foreign Country Providers for whom GeoBlue is able to provide background information and to arrange access for Covered Persons.

I hope this helps you.

Steve Dasseos