Giving MSC a 2nd Chance-Dining Questions

Island Dog

After a disappointing experience on Seaside a few years back, we have decided to give MSC another chance with a short 3 night sailing on Meraviglia in Feb. 2023.

This time around it is only 2 of us sailing with the Fantastica experience.

My general question is "Should we try and talk to the Maitre D' upon boarding, and request a table for 2 or bite the bullet and buy the 3 night Specialty Restaurant Dining Experiences?" ( I am aware that these are not "full menu" dining packages)

Can you upgrade the experience at Kaito to the Hibachi? Or can you only get the sushi/tempura option? (we are not big seafood eaters)

Can you use one of the meals at Hola! or are restricted to only Butcher's Cut, Kaito and Ocean Cay? (a YouTube review suggested that you could)

Do you think the Maitre D' will be happy to accommodate our "table for 2" request? Reports here seem to indicate inconsistent experiences with Maitre D' attitudes.

This being our second time around with MSC, I am trying to avoid the circumstances that made our previous cruise with them less than desirable.

I don't really want to deal with a Maitre D' that will be combative. To me that kind of interaction is the opposite of the experience I am looking for on a cruise.

I am hoping to have a much better experience this time, as MSC's prices can't be beat and the ships are absolutely stunning. We would love to keep them in our "wheelhouse" of all the lines we currently enjoy sailing on. 

Thanks in advance for any information!

30 minutes ago, Island Dog said:

After a disappointing experience on Seaside a few years back, we have decided to give MSC another chance with a short 3 night sailing on Meraviglia in Feb. 2023.

My general question is "Should we try and talk to the Maitre D' upon boarding, and request a table for 2 or bite the bullet and buy the 3 night Specialty Restaurant Dining Experiences?" ( I am aware that these are not "full menu" dining packages)

Can you upgrade the experience at Kaito to the Hibachi? Or can you only get the sushi/tempura option? (we are not big seafood eaters)

Can you use one of the meals at Hola! or are restricted to only Butcher's Cut, Kaito and Ocean Cay? (a YouTube review suggested that you could)

Do you think the Maitre D' will be happy to accommodate our "table for 2" request? Reports here seem to indicate inconsistent experiences with Maitre D' attitudes.

This being our second time around with MSC, I am trying to avoid the circumstances that made our previous cruise with them less than desirable.

I don't really want to deal with a Maitre D' that will be combative. To me that kind of interaction is the opposite of the experience I am looking for on a cruise.

I am hoping to have a much better experience this time, as MSC's prices can't be beat and the ships are absolutely stunning. We would love to keep them in our "wheelhouse" of all the lines we currently enjoy sailing on. 

Thanks in advance for any information!

Good questions Island Dog.  We sail on the 5 day cruise, December 18th.  Would also like see answers to your questions................

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

We sail this Sunday out of Venice on Armonia and first stop will be to the dining room to request our table for 2.  I'll come back and let you know how it goes.

Thank you Native Floridian. Have a wonderful cruise!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Island Dog said:

After a disappointing experience on Seaside a few years back, we have decided to give MSC another chance with a short 3 night sailing on Meraviglia in Feb. 2023. - Is it a holiday weekend or Valentine's sailing?  The # of guests will impact the answers to your questions.  

Can you upgrade the experience at Kaito to the Hibachi? Or can you only get the sushi/tempura option? (we are not big seafood eaters) You get the dining experience, you cannot upgrade to hibachi.   At Butcher's Cut you can buy a la carte items off the menu at 50% off if you have the dining experience (but no need, really)

Can you use one of the meals at Hola! or are restricted to only Butcher's Cut, Kaito and Ocean Cay? (a YouTube review suggested that you could) Technically you cannot use at HOLA as it is independently owned and operated 

Do you think the Maitre D' will be happy to accommodate our "table for 2" request?  Depends on how busy it is, but you can more easily get a 2 top at the latest seating in the US market vs the first seating 

1 hour ago, HipHipOnAShip said:

Thanks Hip-Hip. 

It is Thu-Sun after Valentine's. The Monday after is President's Day. (Quasi holiday weekend in my book).

I'm fine with the limited menu in BC, but odd that Hola is independent. This video shows a couple claiming to be using the pkg for Hola in this video from the Meraviglia.

We are traditionally late diners, so we are booked for the late seating. Glad to hear that increases our chances.

Thank you for your insight. Much appreciated! 😁

Edited by Island Dog