European Voltage...

I will be in Rome a few days before my Rome to NYC cruise. This will be my first time in Europe/Italy. My question is besides taking a electrical adaptor along, will I be able to charge the batteries on my cameras/laptop or will I have to get some kind of voltage converter? Appreciate any information.

Check each device, especially their power transformers. One of three things is possible for each:

1) There's a switch to change from 220v (Europe) to 110v (US).

2) If not, check the manual to see if it has a voltage-sensor which automatically adjusts.

3) If not, you will need a voltage converter.

In any of these cases you will also need a plug adapter for the Italian sockets.

Look on the plugin power supply. It will have the input voltage specs... usually molded into the plastic. Look for something like 100-240v 50/60Hz. Those work anywhere with the proper adapter plug. Most camera and laptop power supplies have that rating, but always check... there are a few that are not "universal".

You can usually get power converters and plug converters at places that sell travel accessories. Also your friendly neighborhood Radio Shack carries these also if you find your adaptor that came with your equipment doesn't use the higher voltage rating.

Archived