Can someone please school me on the dining packages?

smheese

I've only ever cruised on DCL before and our first time on RC. We are a family of five with 3 teens. Adults will be drinking and love fine dining, major foodies, so if the regular main stream food is not very good or basic cruise fare, or a buffet, we'd definitely like to eat in better restaurants. 

If you buy a dining package, does the whole family have to get the same one? How does the dining work on RC? Do you get an assigned time or restaurant or go anywhere anytime and what/how many restaurants are an upcharge and do those need reservations? Are they limited availability? Please tell me all you can. 🙂 Thank you!!!

The number of upcharge (specialty) restaurants varies by ship. You can buy a dining package; unlimited or 3-day packages are the most common, but if you're on a longer cruise (like a 12 day cruise) then 5-day packages are also sometimes offered.

You can also choose to reserve a specific restaurant for a specific night and you pay whatever the going rate is at the time you book it. If you do it this way, you get to pick your dining day and dining time. 

If you buy one of the packages, you have to wait until you get on the ship to make reservations for any particular restaurant or time. 

You can buy the dining packages for just one person, or for everyone. But only the people who have paid for the package (or who pay the individual upcharge cost) can dine with you. 

12 hours ago, smheese said:

I've only ever cruised on DCL before and our first time on RC. We are a family of five with 3 teens. Adults will be drinking and love fine dining, major foodies, so if the regular main stream food is not very good or basic cruise fare, or a buffet, we'd definitely like to eat in better restaurants. 

If you “love fine dining” you will likely be disappointed dining on RCI. I think the food and experience in both the MDR and speciality restaurants is good, but it isn’t close to fine dining. If fine dining is important to you and your family, you would be much happier on Celebrity. The food and dining experience on Celebrity is significantly better in my opinion, but even than I only consider it lower end fine dining. One thing to keep in mind is we may have different views on what we consider fine dining. 

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

One thing to keep in mind is we may have different views on what we consider fine dining. 

True. To some people, a restaurant that doesn't have a drive through window is fine dining.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1