Norwegian Dawn - Cabin 8661 or thereabouts

Chrissy3427

Good day all! I have been assigned Cabin 8661 on the Dawn which is located aft and above the Bliss Lounge. Anyone have any experience with a cabin in this area? Is there any extraneous noise coming from Bliss?

We were once in a cabin above the theater, and while we could here the music from the shows, it sounded very distant, so I am hoping the same for Bliss.

Thanks in advance!

Chrissy

I'm sorry...... you are directly above the entertainment section of the Bliss Ultra Lounge. 

Here is a copy and paste from a Dawn review done in 2019 of 8661

"We've sailed on many cruises and we've had rooms all over a variety of different ships. Our room on this ship was 8661 that was directly over the Bliss Lounge, which is really the only place for nighttime entertainment on this small boat. Needless to say our room was SO LOUD until 2 am every. single. night. I could sing every single word of every song that the band or dj was playing because the music was SO LOUD and the walls were so thin. We are a younger family with two kids (8 & 11) so we were back in the room by midnight each night and we all struggled to sleep. Unless you plan to close the club down every single night and you won't hear the noise because you'll be out anyway, DO NOT BOOK THE AFT ROOMS ON DECK 8! "

I could sympathize and understand the above reviewer.  We had an aft facing balcony (which I normally dearly love) on deck 8 of the Pearl above Bliss Ultra Lounge.  Not only could we hear every word of every song played but we could feel the bass thumping.  I was traveling with my recently widowed mother who had dementia.  She hated the music, the thumping and shaking and just couldn't understand why it was happening.  Every time a song started up we went through the same conversation.    When I complained Guest Services said the ship was totally booked so there was nothing they could do.  They did send someone to the room to listen and he agreed bass and sound level were both excessive.  They requested that the bass be turned down and that helped a little.   Luckily at our CC Meet and Greet someone said he upgraded ON THE SHIP from a balcony to a mini-suite so I knew there was at least one empty stateroom.  I appealed to the Hotel Director and we were given a balcony stateroom on deck 9 which we used after dinner and for sleeping.  It was a hassle but much better than the alternative.

If you go to the drag deck section of the free cruise deck plans you can see what is above and below your stateroom. 

Here is link to a YouTube tour of the Dawn by Cruising Canucks.  The Bliss Ultra Lounge starts about 10 minutes into the video.

Edited by kjquilts

On 11/9/2022 at 11:18 PM, kjquilts said:

I' was traveling with my recently widowed mother who had dementia.  She hated the music, the thumping and shaking and just couldn't understand why it was happening.  Every time a song started up we went through the same conversation.    When I complained Guest Services said the ship was totally booked so there was nothing they could do.  

Without offering detail, I feel fully the pain of wanting to do something fun and loving for an aging mother and having it go terribly wrong.  

This story breaks my heart all over again. 

49626E3B-014F-43DF-8DD9-FE0F59FF122E.jpeg

4 hours ago, EvanBedar said:

Without offering detail, I feel fully the pain of wanting to do something fun and loving for an aging mother and having it go terribly wrong.  

This story breaks my heart all over again. 

49626E3B-014F-43DF-8DD9-FE0F59FF122E.jpeg

I'm sorry for your past experience.  Watching our parents age and decline can be so heartbreaking. 

Beautiful photo.  Our cruise story did have a happy ending

"Luckily at our CC Meet and Greet someone said he upgraded ON THE SHIP from a balcony to a mini-suite so I knew there was at least one empty stateroom.  I appealed to the Hotel Director and we were given a balcony stateroom on deck 9 which we used after dinner and for sleeping.  It was a hassle but much better than the alternative. "

Edited by kjquilts
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2022 at 9:41 PM, Chrissy3427 said:

Good day all! I have been assigned Cabin 8661 on the Dawn which is located aft and above the Bliss Lounge. Anyone have any experience with a cabin in this area? Is there any extraneous noise coming from Bliss?

We were once in a cabin above the theater, and while we could here the music from the shows, it sounded very distant, so I am hoping the same for Bliss.

Thanks in advance!

Chrissy

Have you sailed yet? Our inside guarantee was assigned a cabin very close to this one so I'm hoping they've fixed the noise issue since that review in 2019. Otherwise I'll have to bid for a better room...

43 minutes ago, cruising_scientist25 said:

Have you sailed yet? Our inside guarantee was assigned a cabin very close to this one so I'm hoping they've fixed the noise issue since that review in 2019. Otherwise I'll have to bid for a better room...

Sorry. There is nothing to "fix". It is a room over a lounge that plays loud music into the wee hours of the morning. 

With a guarantee, you could get a great room or a room that no one else would knowingly select. A room over the Bliss is probably one that people avoid... but was available for guarantee assignment. 

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain - - -

The BOOOM BASS music will give you thunderous vibrating music to lull you to sleep.

#$%&*@ !!!!!

8661 not the best - - -

All the aft deck 8 and some deck 9 and a few deck 10 cabins suites staterooms over

the BLISS Ultra Lounge are subject to this (Noise travels upwards).

Look at the NCL DAWN Deck Plan those that are centered in the aft are most apt to

be conflicted - those that are least apt to are those facing seaward.

The late wee hours usually end with somber music around 1 am.

During the day time (at SEA) there maybe loud entertainment activities also.

The sister ship the STAR has the same problem - - -

The JEWEL class ships - the Bliss Lounge is replaced with the Duty Free gift shops.

In booking cabins take care in using the DECK PLANS for the best selections -

Remember to try and have occupied cabins above and below your location.

1 hour ago, don't-use-real-name said:

The JEWEL class ships - the Bliss Lounge is replaced with the Duty Free gift shops.

The duty-free gift shops are aft deck 7 on the Jewel and the Jade.  Bliss Ultra (loud) Lounge is aft deck 7 on the Pearl and the Gem.

On 1/10/2023 at 3:41 PM, BirdTravels said:

Sorry. There is nothing to "fix". It is a room over a lounge that plays loud music into the wee hours of the morning. 

With a guarantee, you could get a great room or a room that no one else would knowingly select. A room over the Bliss is probably one that people avoid... but was available for guarantee assignment. 

Okay this comment scared me haha. We bid on a few rooms last night and got an email this morning saying we won an obstructed ocean view in deck 8 mid for only $120 each more. So we will be able to sleep at night hah, we aren't the late night party type.

1 hour ago, cruising_scientist25 said:

Okay this comment scared me haha. We bid on a few rooms last night and got an email this morning saying we won an obstructed ocean view in deck 8 mid for only $120 each more. So we will be able to sleep at night hah, we aren't the late night party type.

Deck 8 mid-ship won't have anything noisy beneath you (staterooms above).   Bliss Ultra-Lounge is aft deck 7 on the Dawn.

• 9 months later...
On 11/13/2022 at 8:21 AM, Chrissy3427 said:

Thank you, yes, I did see we were above the lounge and was concerned about the noise.

Thank you for this information - I have upgrade requests pending.

We wound up staying in the same room, while there was some noise from the Bliss lounge it sounded  distant and muffled. It did not keep us awake at night, I am generally a light sleeper, and was able to fall asleep within a reasonable time. Yes you could hear it, no, it didn't bother us, we realized there was a chance we were going to hear noise, and this is the chance you take with a Gty room. It was ok. I wouldn't go out of my way to select this room, but my gf and I are of the mindset, if the room is on a ship, then we'll be fine. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1