Dining reservations

LynnSD

Long time princess cruiser, will be first time on Holland America.  It’s a week long Mexico cruise on Koningsdam.  

I’m looking for any advice about booking the specialty restaurants, and dining advice in general.    Should we try them all?!

Thanks in advance!

Lynda 

Rather than start a separate topic, I have similar questions. Specifically charges and limitations on second starters and entrees in the MDR and Pinnacle Grill. There seems to be conflicting reports on here about HAL charging  extra for  2 starters or entrees.  Booked 7 nights in January on the NA and looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, LynnSD said:

Long time princess cruiser, will be first time on Holland America.  It’s a week long Mexico cruise on Koningsdam.  

Hi Lynda!

What week? It could make a difference... with the holidays for one.

@CHIEFWINEMAKER Welcome to Cruise Critic! There have been multiple convos and no agreement on your question. Guess we will see for ourselves!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LynnSD said:

I’m looking for any advice about booking the specialty restaurants, and dining advice in general.    Should we try them all?!

Thanks in advance!

Lynda

Definitely try them all in the following order:  Tamarind, Rudi's Sel de Mer, Pinnacle Grill, and Canaletto.

Do not overlook the free Grand Dutch Cafe and NY Deli Pizza.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LynnSD said:

Many people wait until boarding-date and rush to the various venues, to book with OBC. I assume many do not get their preferred dates and times due to advance reservations! 

If there are specific nights you want, or times, especially if they are the common middle-of-the-evening times -- book ahead! I wanted to eat at Rudi's on NYE (also our anniversary), and had to choose from 5, 5:30 -- or 9! (ETA: and this was months ahead of the cruise!)

Many like to eat in the MDR on Gala nights -- those will be your second night and the sixth night.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone, that’s very helpful.   I’m going to try to book them all!

I appreciate the confirmation of Gala nights.  

We are on the Koningsdam, January 7.    My husband prefers to dine early, that usually makes it easier for us to get reservations.   I’ll find out tomorrow!   

• Like 1

We enjoy all of them and do all every time we cruise, even Canaletto. The ambiance is not quite as amazing as the others, since it is on the side of the Lido buffet, but the food is amazing! FYI, if you like lamb chops, the Canaletto is the lowest price specialty restaurant that has them. The Nami Sushi option in the Tamarind is another favorite because they have fabulous sushi for a reasonable cost.

Good luck, you will enjoy them I'm sure.

22 minutes ago, Greysandy said:

We enjoy all of them and do all every time we cruise, even Canaletto. The ambiance is not quite as amazing as the others, since it is on the side of the Lido buffet, but the food is amazing! FYI, if you like lamb chops, the Canaletto is the lowest price specialty restaurant that has them.

A big vote for the Canaletto Gelato dessert!!

• Like 1

I got reservations for all the specialty restaurants!   
Is there a way to book a time in the MDR for the remaining evenings, or does that have to wait until we’re on board?    I can’t seem to find it.   
Thanks again!

3 minutes ago, LynnSD said:

I got reservations for all the specialty restaurants!   
Is there a way to book a time in the MDR for the remaining evenings, or does that have to wait until we’re on board?    I can’t seem to find it.   
Thanks again!

This varies by ship.  Keep checking your cruise on the HAL website under Cruise Activities in case it appears closer to your cruise date

14 hours ago, LynnSD said:

We are on the Koningsdam, January 7.    My husband prefers to dine early, that usually makes it easier for us to get reservations.   I’ll find out tomorrow!   

Hi Lynn!

We have a pretty good roll call going for this cruise! No real private tours lined up though, so you can start reading on the 11th 'page', and read the previous at your convenience!

14 hours ago, LynnSD said:

Thanks everyone, that’s very helpful.   I’m going to try to book them all!

I believe the Canaletto is the only one with day-of-the-week specials -- that could affect which night you want to try for there. Here is Roger's recent menu with that list:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Canaletto.pdf

You can see the additional menus linked from this page:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/

Edited by crystalspin