Brazil cruises - what are the differences?

8420PR

Overall we had a great cruise - it was a pleasant way to spend Christmas and get to Argentina to continue our holiday.   I would happily book another cruise from Brazil, but with the following considerations (for me):

- cruising from Brazil is more expensive than cruising in the Med or Caribbean.  MSC seem able to charge high prices in South America - especially as I couldn't find any cruises with a drinks package included.   I think it is difficult to justify cruising here just for the ship.

- cruising from Brazil is more expensive compared to a land vacation there (which is the opposite of Europe or US).   

All this means that whereas from Miami or Barcelona I would spend 2 nights in a hotel and then 7 nights on a cruise, I think I would do the opposite in Brazil.  For next year I'm looking for either another repositioning cruise, or one to Ilhabela, Ilha Grande or Buzios that would be much more pleasent to visit on a cruise ship compared to 6 hours in a minibus.

1 hour ago, 8420PR said:

I bit the bullet and booked a 3 night cruise on MSC Armonia from Itajai to Buenos Aires over Christmas, so can answer the questions I had in case it helps others.

Firstly, here is the drinks menu.   The Easy drinks selection is expanded with some Brazilian specialties, and the prices looked roughly comparable to Med cruises (perhaps a bit cheaper).  We pre-purchased the easy package and had a great time.

One curiosity as mentioned by rool is the system of queuing at the side of the bar for the server to input your order, getting a receipt, and then handing it to the bar staff to make for you.  I have never seen this on any other MSC cruise - where you are mostly served at your table or you can go to the bar as a last resort.   I am not sure if this is Brazil specific or MSC brazil specific, but on the first day it seemed to only be me that was confused by it.

QR_BF_APERITIF-AND-WINE-BAR_OTHER_DAYX_EN_1671839589.pdf 3.53 MB · 1 download

Many thanks to the very detailed review! Permit me a few observations:

While this time of the year, except for Christmas and New Year Eve cruises, this is low season. On Brazil they're at high season as well as on the UAE. No surprise for the higher fares. Port taxes and local city taxes add to the count on the most recent years as well. The short weekend escape cruise market seems to be well in its full force there even on bigger ships!...

The bar situation seems exclusive for Brazil as far as I understand, even though ships are understaffed elsewhere. Also bear in mind that some ships are now being run on a partnership between MSC and a local event organizer. Maybe that explains some differences. Once your sailing was international, they may have had the usual MSC entertainment, but in some Brasil exclusive ones they'll to change the Brazilian things.

MSC seems to have finished to sell drinks packages for less than 5 nights cruises in mid December this year, at least for the US, hope globally. They'll to honor the previously sold online ones till they finish. For the sins of a few in the US all of us will to pay one or the other way...

Those drinks prices are very reasonable. And those menus great if they have the proper staff to deliver.

Sadly; to sail from Brasil is so expensive from here in Portugal right now!... I'd like to do more, but I'd to spend more on airline tickets than on the cruise itself!...

• Thanks 1