Flying home from FLL to DFW/DAL (Love Field) - HUH on flight times?

Z'Loth

In the name of planning purposes, I thought I would check on the flights for my next cruise in January, 2024. Since the schedules aren't available yet for that date, I thought I would just stare at a closer date and see what flights are available for the flight home. Since I'm in the DFW area, I prefer to take non-stops. First off, how about Southwest airlines? Here are the non-stop departure times from FLL:

• 5:45 AM (NOPE!)
  • 7:25 PM (WHAT?)

WHAT? Even when I turn off the "non-stop" filter, there is a huge gap from 11:30 AM to 6:40 PM for flights. So, I check with American Airlines "non-stop":

• 7:17 AM (NOPE!)
  • 9:18 AM (NOPE!)
  • 11:42 AM
  • 3:45 PM
  • 5:29 PM (WHAT?)
  • 7:25 PM (WHAT?)

Again, WHAT?  Hopefully, when the actual bookings open up for late January, I have more options available, but for now, I'm challenged. I know that the general advice is to not book a flight before noon, but that means I'm in for a several hour wait at the airport. 11:42 AM is cutting it close, but the last few times I cruised, the ship was in port hours before noon, and I know that the airport is only a few minutes from the port. Thoughts? 

Oh, and in case you are wondering... my plans are to arrive on the Friday or Saturday prior to Monday cruise departure. 

On 11/25/2022 at 10:16 PM, Z'Loth said:

First off, how about Southwest airlines?

They're fine. Some people think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. I can just tell you that they're fine. 

The funny thing is that, in all of my travels around the world throughout my life (which is a LOT), they're the only airline to damage my bag beyond repair...and they did it twice. So I just make sure not to check my bag with them anymore 🙂 But, I can admit that's an exception and not a norm with Southwest. 

On 11/28/2022 at 8:25 AM, Zach1213 said:

(Southwest Airlines is) fine. Some people think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. I can just tell you that they're fine.  

For the purposes of this post, I just was comparing the departure times of American Airlines and Southwest Airlines for a non-stop flight. Both airlines are headquartered in the DFW area, and thus DFW is a major hub for American and DAL is a major hub for Southwest. Other major hubs include Houston and Chicago or United Airlines, and Atlanta for Delta airlines.