Fly cruise Barcelona

Wonky

I’m interested to know which airline and London airport Cunard use for the fly cruises from Barcelona. I see from @rakkor’s blog that he and others did there own thing on the day of the cruise but there is a risk involved with that. Has anyone used the Cunard flights?

8 hours ago, Wonky said:

I’m interested to know which airline and London airport Cunard use for the fly cruises from Barcelona. I see from @rakkor’s blog that he and others did there own thing on the day of the cruise but there is a risk involved with that. Has anyone used the Cunard flights?

One always books via Cunard, as one can upgrade flight seats and luggage etc. at a reasonable price.  Ask for a quote when booking. Look to arrive at least a day prior to cruise for peace of mind.  
Also, consider flying midweek for a weekend sail as the flight will be reduced and make a contribution towards one’s hotel for sight seeing.  Make the hotel booking oneself, because Cunard overcharge for junk rooms per person and not always in a good position.

British Airways on Iberia metal from Heathrow to Barcelona is what we were allocated in September by Cunard. The flight was early morning and same day the cruise started. We were refused a request for upgrade or seat allocation by Cunard in advance, and unable to check in until we arrived at the airport. The only problem fortunately was not the flight but a huge wait at Barcelona airport arrivals as the transfer coaches were badly organised. In hindsight I would book flights myself to have some control over the booking and also fly out the day before. 

Thank you both, this is an “addon” week as we are doing Barcelona to Singapore so trying to keep it as cheap as possible. We have miles flights booked to arrive in Barcelona 3 days before the long cruise but my man maths made the extra week work if we went on the day!

Can you purchase extra luggage if we slum it in economy?

I’m still tempted to do my own thing on the day and risk it. Don’t mind missing the week if insurance pays out.

40 minutes ago, Wonky said:

Thank you both, this is an “addon” week as we are doing Barcelona to Singapore so trying to keep it as cheap as possible. We have miles flights booked to arrive in Barcelona 3 days before the long cruise but my man maths made the extra week work if we went on the day!

Can you purchase extra luggage if we slum it in economy?

I’m still tempted to do my own thing on the day and risk it. Don’t mind missing the week if insurance pays out.

Most scheduled flights allow one to pay for an extra suitcase, being cheaper in advance  rather than at check-in.  But check with one’s carrier and ticket conditions.  Prices vary.  No idea on charter flights, but Cunard will have the answer.