Where to report compromised Credit Cards / Debit Cards wire fraud by (suspected) cabin steward

Robin Hooning

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I did understand your point I just thought it is interesting how different the US experience is. For you there is little difference between a bad and good exchange rate but for me the gap between good and bad exchange rates is much bigger. If there aren't any bank ATMs around I won't even exchange anything below AU$100 because the exchange rates I experience usually makes the value just not worth it. 

So how much difference are you talking about between ship and ATM. I only find about a 1% difference in fees between those rates, so $10 USD for $1000.  That I consider a convenience fee.  

When I travel with my Sis she has a debit card and once I showed her the difference she quit using it.  It is not worth the time and risk involved.  

I know that not all cruise ships offer exchange so maybe you haven’t had that option.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I did understand your point I just thought it is interesting how different the US experience is. For you there is little difference between a bad and good exchange rate but for me the gap between good and bad exchange rates is much bigger. If there aren't any bank ATMs around I won't even exchange anything below AU$100 because the exchange rates I experience usually makes the value just not worth it. 

Fees added by money changing places can be very high.   

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

So how much difference are you talking about between ship and ATM. I only find about a 1% difference in fees between those rates, so $10 USD for $1000.  That I consider a convenience fee.  

When I travel with my Sis she has a debit card and once I showed her the difference she quit using it.  It is not worth the time and risk involved.  

I know that not all cruise ships offer exchange so maybe you haven’t had that option.

I have to admit US$10 for US$100 does look a bit too much for me😂. I suppose it is also a matter of perspective, you see the difference as paying for something you value which I assume is a sense of security. I'm not as worried about my debit cards so to me that is money I could be spending on other things I more enjoy. As for numbers I can't remember all details but I remember some of the losses I calculated on AU$100 vs market rates  For XPF was about AU$12, PLN was the worst around AU$20 but also AUD was dropping at the time so it could have impacted and HRK was around AU$14. Without remembering the US exchange rates for my experiences it makes it hard to compare to your example but I guess it is not too bad, though it wouldn't convince me to give up a debit card😂

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I have to admit US$10 for US$100 does look a bit too much for me😂. I suppose it is also a matter of perspective, you see the difference as paying for something you value which I assume is a sense of security. I'm not as worried about my debit cards so to me that is money I could be spending on other things I more enjoy. As for numbers I can't remember all details but I remember some of the losses I calculated on AU$100 vs market rates  For XPF was about AU$12, PLN was the worst around AU$20 but also AUD was dropping at the time so it could have impacted and HRK was around AU$14. Without remembering the US exchange rates for my experiences it makes it hard to compare to your example but I guess it is not too bad, though it wouldn't convince me to give up a debit card😂

I said $10 for $1000 .   I am not talking about the exchange rate , I am speaking about the fee for the exchange.  Exchange rates are published information based on worldwide markets, fees are ser by the provider of the service

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I said $10 for $1000 .   I am not talking about the exchange rate , I am speaking about the fee for the exchange.  Exchange rates are published information based on worldwide markets, fees are ser by the provider of the service

Oh sorry I must have mixed up the zeros😳. I don't usually exchange $1000 or over so my mind went straight to $100. My debit card has no  fees whatsoever along with market rate exchange. I use an app to locate fee free ATMs which usually are bank ones or companies my card provider has a deal with so I haven't paid foreign exchange fees on my debit card transactions in many years. That is why when comparing I focus on the exchange rate and probably why I can't remember what the fees were in my examples assuming there were fees as I notice many foreign exchange businesses just bundle the fee into to the exchange rate just so they can advertise as "fee free"😬

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Oh sorry I must have mixed up the zeros😳. I don't usually exchange $1000 or over so my mind went straight to $100. My debit card has no  fees whatsoever along with market rate exchange. I use an app to locate fee free ATMs which usually are bank ones or companies my card provider has a deal with so I haven't paid foreign exchange fees on my debit card transactions in many years. That is why when comparing I focus on the exchange rate and probably why I can't remember what the fees were in my examples assuming there were fees as I notice many foreign exchange businesses just bundle the fee into to the exchange rate just so they can advertise as "fee free"😬

"fee free"

Say that fast 5 times!  😄

• Haha 1