First Cruise Questions - Celebrity Beyond - Mediterranean (Italy, Croatia, Montenegro, Greece)

Fish7

Hello all,

We're a family of 4 going on our first cruise. Kids are 18 and 20. We're booked on Celebrity Beyond to the Mediterranean (Italy, Croatia, Montenegro, Greece) in July, 2023. We're booked in 2 connecting Concierge Class Infinite Veranda rooms. After looking through posts on this site and some YouTube reviews, I'm not sure I love the infinite veranda concept, but there aren't any rooms with true balconies available unless we would like to pay roughly triple what we're booked for now.

Here are some basic questions.

• I have seen posts that mention some of the good specialty dining restaurants can get booked out prior to boarding. How far in advance would you recommend booking dinners at some of the specialty restaurants?
    • Is there any way to reserve these dinners in advance of boarding and still pay for them with on-board credit (either now, or when we do get on board)?

• Are the dining ordering options unlimited? Meaning, maybe you'd like two salads, or maybe a couple of us would like an extra main dish to try/share between us. Is that allowed in the included dining? Would that also be allowed in the specialty dining restaurants (after paying the upgrade for those restaurants of course)?

• Would you also suggest booking Spa treatments in advance, or is the spa typically available for bookings made while on board (which would allow us to pay with OBC)

• Same questions on shore excursions. Do these sometimes fill up well before boarding? Or is it usually okay to wait and book while on board (and pay with OBC)?

• Will it help with some of these reservations (specialty restaurants, spa treatments, shore excursions) on-board to have Concierge Class rooms? Or should we still make sure and make them in advance of sailing (even if it means we can't pay for them with OBC)?

Anything else you would suggest a family of 4 on a first cruise, heading to the Mediterranean on Beyond should be aware of, or look into further?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Thanks,

Trying to decide if booking a specialty dining package is the way to go, given you can't make any reservations until boarding. Do some of the specific specialty dining spots typically book up prior to sailing? Or can you usually get reservations somewhat easily if you book the first day you depart?

How much does having a concierge class room help in the dinner and excursion reservation process?

Thanks!

If able and desired to go independent, no need for a tour ~  In Montenegro after tendering, you can hike up the mountain to the Kotor Fortress / San Giovanni Castle with gorgeous views all along the hike.  It's an amazing port. Don't miss being on deck for sailing in and out, it's beautiful! After you hike back down you can enjoy some gelato, that's always a priority when sailing in the Med 😁

If you want any specialty dining especially Eden I'd recommend booking asap, you can always cancel later but they do often sell out. For the reasons you mention, I don't do the packages. I prefer to lock down my schedule but I'm a planner and like to have my days "within reason" somewhat pre organized. 

You can use your OBC for dining and excursions in your Cruise Planner, after adding to your cart at checkout just apply the credit in the payment option. 

Patty 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 3:56 AM, Fish7 said:

We're a family of 4 going on our first cruise. Kids are 18 and 20. We're booked on Celebrity Beyond to the Mediterranean (Italy, Croatia, Montenegro, Greece) in July, 2023. We're booked in 2 connecting Concierge Class Infinite Veranda rooms. After looking through posts on this site and some YouTube reviews, I'm not sure I love the infinite veranda concept, but there aren't any rooms with true balconies available unless we would like to pay roughly triple what we're booked for now.

Congrats on booking your first cruise! I believe you and your family will have a wonderful time. The Beyond is an amazing ship.

I wouldn’t worry too much about not having a true veranda on this particular cruise, as it’s very port intensive. You’ll barely have time to catch your breath let alone sit out in the veranda for any particular length of time. 
Save your money and instead book some quality tours (DIY or from Celebrity).

Join the roll call for this cruise and see what tours being put together by your fellow cruisers. As an aside, any tour by Rome in Limo will be VERY good.

On 11/29/2022 at 3:56 AM, Fish7 said:

Are the dining ordering options unlimited? Meaning, maybe you'd like two salads, or maybe a couple of us would like an extra main dish to try/share between us. Is that allowed in the included dining? Would that also be allowed in the specialty dining restaurants (after paying the upgrade for those restaurants of course)?

You can order any combination of plates without additional charges.

We we’re in Eden last night, and my wife and I wanted to share three appetizers before our mains, so we informed our waiter and voilà!. You can do this at any restaurant on board.

I would book specialty restaurants and excursions as soon as you can. They tend to fill up quickly. Look into the specialty dining packages offered by Celebrity. They off multiple day dining packages.

Remember that the Beyond has 4 main dining rooms, each with their own theme that you’ll probably want to experience as well. We found them to be very good and with open dining, you won’t need a reservation.

• Like 1

Keep an eye on the cruise planner when things become available. I would not wait to book excursions on the ship. Most of them will be sold out. On that note, for the itinerary you are on I would not book any ship excursions. You will save a ton of money and have more time in port if you book independently and won't have to walk around with a number on your shirt with an ear piece in. Do you research and start booking fairly soon if there are must-see items on your list. 

Don't buy into the hysterics a few people cause about the IV's. Try it for yourself and see. If this is your first cruise you aren't going to have any basis for comparison anyway. You will be off the ship and out of the cabin nearly as much as you are on. 

• Like 1

Great tips! Thank you all!

What is the "Roll Call" for this cruise and how can I find how to join?

On 12/2/2022 at 6:52 AM, FourNines said:

Join the roll call for this cruise and see what tours being put together by your fellow cruisers. As an aside, any tour by Rome in Limo will be VERY good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fish7 said:

Great tips! Thank you all!

What is the "Roll Call" for this cruise and how can I find how to join?

On this main pace, go to Celebrity roll calls. Select Beyond and in the drop down select your sailing month. Then you'll see the rolls calls started for all the sailings in that month ,usually by date. This is a way for you to share ideas and tours with fellow travelers on your exact cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2022 at 9:52 AM, FourNines said:

Agree have used RIL several times and have them booked for our next sailing to the med, also on the Beyond Aug 2023

Patty

• Like 1