Questions about Vila and Noumea ports

DT1304

Hi all

I have been to both these ports numerous times, but not since a couple of years before Covid so am just curious from ppl that have been there on a cruise recently if much has changed.

In Vila, I have previously just hired a driver in a minibus outside the gates at the cruise terminal, and he has driven me to cascade waterfalls, Tanna Coffee, etc. Are there still all these drivers scrambling for business at the cruise terminal, and is cascade waterfalls still a nice place to visit. I have read some reviews that it is not in good condition, very little water due to drought etc.- Do you have any recommendations to go to and what is the current going rate for a driver for the day? 4 adults travelling together.

In Noumea, I was going to try book a tour at that little market/tourist office right at the cruise terminal. Do various tour companies still offer tours from there, like the tjou tjou train? Also there used to be a place that rented out beach cars at that tourist office. Google seems to indicate that this place has shut down. Can anyone who has been to N oumea recently advise about the tour operators in that little tourist office.

We did both ports a couple of weeks ago on Ovation, first time for us so don't know what it was like before.

In Vila we took a water taxi into town but there looked to be lots of vans touting for business too.

In Noumea there is still the train from the tourist office as well as a couple of other options. We took the Hop on/off bus for $15pp from there. Didn't see any cars but didn't look sorry.

Hi,

In the past when touring in noumea and port Vila I have booked indepenent tours with Gateway shore tours Noumea, mainly due to my son being in a wheelchair. I have found Alfred and Genieveve to be excellent hosts offering well price tours if you want to check them out on FB

cheers maree