Porugal Visa extension QUESTION

gatguy11

Hi, could someone help with a complication I have. My wife and are are going to apply for an extension to our tourist visa. If we get one, we want to (in our 4th month in Portugal) get a transatlantic cruise out of Lisbon April 2, 2023. This cruise goes to Spain for 5 days in 4  ports (Seville, Lanzarote, Las Palmas (Gran Canaria), and Tenerife). Apparently the Visa extension does not allow us to go to other schengen countries. BIG QUESTION NOW: can we take that cruise? If we do not get off the boat can we go? Do I need a lawyer for the answer!!! Help please from someone who may know the answer, Thanks

I am not a lawyer and I do not know by experience, but ufortunately I am pretty confident the answer to your question would be "NO". Just for the simple reason that unless Spanish port authorities did an ID-/Visa-check on EVERY passenger on that cruise in the various Spanish ports, then they would have no control of if YOU went ashore in the ports or not. So both for Spanish authorites and for NCL, it is easier to deny you boarding on that cruise. And IF NCL lets you cruise - when scanning your passport, there will probably be some automatic "flagging" in European systems about you being a holder of a Schengen visa with limitations (as extension only will be valid for Portugal), so that you may have some difficulties if you plan on travelling to Europe in the future.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 12/8/2022 at 1:41 PM, bluesea777 said:

Suggest that you delay your trip to Portugal so you can stay until the cruise and be able to visit Spanish ports on cruise?

Too risky as you might be denied boarding.

On 12/8/2022 at 2:36 PM, TrumpyNor said:

I am not a lawyer and I do not know by experience, but ufortunately I am pretty confident the answer to your question would be "NO". Just for the simple reason that unless Spanish port authorities did an ID-/Visa-check on EVERY passenger on that cruise in the various Spanish ports, then they would have no control of if YOU went ashore in the ports or not. So both for Spanish authorites and for NCL, it is easier to deny you boarding on that cruise. And IF NCL lets you cruise - when scanning your passport, there will probably be some automatic "flagging" in European systems about you being a holder of a Schengen visa with limitations (as extension only will be valid for Portugal), so that you may have some difficulties if you plan on travelling to Europe in the future.

Hi, everything went well, visited all Spanish ports and not a problem, again thanks for helping.

• Like 5