Canadian here. Hals insurance doesn't seem to ask lots of questions. I am not finding success in quotes for our 21 day cruise to the Panama Canal in April. I had a pacemaker implanted in August. I'm stable but no one wants to insure me. HAL is expensive but it's better to have insurance than not have. Comments on HAL insurance appreciated. 

The HAL Platinum plan reimburses 90% regardless of the reason for cancellation. All cancellations are treated the same with no exclusions or claim forms. 

I don’t know anything about insurance in Canada, but if you can buy HAL’s Platinum, you will be able to cancel up to departure and get 90% back. You’ll also have some comprehensive coverage for travel and medical.

Yes, it is but there is no restriction for pre-existing conditions as far as I can see.  That is probably why the coverage is so low.

In the US, there are policies with higher levels available to people with pre-existing conditions if they purchase within a defined time window and meet certain requirements. I can’t speak to what is a available to Canadians.

At least you know what HAL offers if you can’t find anything else.