Marseille shore ideas - Luberon Villages or Les Baux +?

MMMCruiser

I'm trying to set up a private shore excursion for our day in Marseille this June.  I've been reading a lot online, and I think we are leaning towards either a day visiting various Luberon villages or doing one of the Les Baux tours that include either Avignon or Aix or St. Remy.  It's hard to tell which would be a better choice.

Would anyone care to share their opinion on this one?  Basically (1) Luberon or Les Baux, and (2) if Les Baux, would you include Aix, Avignon, or St. Remy?

This is for 3 adults.  None of us have ever been to Provence before, so I'd like to make the most of the day, but also trying to be mindful that the following day will be a long, tiring day of touring.

Thanks in advance.

45 minutes ago, MMMCruiser said:

I'm trying to set up a private shore excursion for our day in Marseille this June.  I've been reading a lot online, and I think we are leaning towards either a day visiting various Luberon villages or doing one of the Les Baux tours that include either Avignon or Aix or St. Remy.  It's hard to tell which would be a better choice.

Would anyone care to share their opinion on this one?  Basically (1) Luberon or Les Baux, and (2) if Les Baux, would you include Aix, Avignon, or St. Remy?

This is for 3 adults.  None of us have ever been to Provence before, so I'd like to make the most of the day, but also trying to be mindful that the following day will be a long, tiring day of touring.

Thanks in advance.

You can easily include both Avignon and Saint Remy on a tour to Les Baux.

The Luberon villages are beautiful, but it is best to go when the lavender is in bloom. That would be from the last week in June to early August. Peak is early July.

40 minutes ago, marazul said:

You can easily include both Avignon and Saint Remy on a tour to Les Baux.

The Luberon villages are beautiful, but it is best to go when the lavender is in bloom. That would be from the last week in June to early August. Peak is early July.

We will be there in the first week of June.  Given that, would you choose Les Baux or the Luberon area?  I think we will miss peak lavender days but I was expecting that.

29 minutes ago, MMMCruiser said:

We will be there in the first week of June.  Given that, would you choose Les Baux or the Luberon area?  I think we will miss peak lavender days but I was expecting that.

For your first time, Les Baux and Avignon.

37 minutes ago, marazul said:

For your first time, Les Baux and Avignon.

If it's not too much trouble, can you please explain why?  I have to present my decision to the rest of the family and they will ask for a reason.  😉 

13 hours ago, MMMCruiser said:

If it's not too much trouble, can you please explain why?  I have to present my decision to the rest of the family and they will ask for a reason.  😉 

Iconic, beautiful, historical. 

• Like 1

We agree with Marazul.  Combining Avignon and Les Baux is a nice combination since you have a medium size city combined with a very picturesque hill-top village.  As to St Remy, having rented an apartment in that town (for 2 weeks) we were always amused to see cruise line excursions coming through town and doing a walking tour.  St Remy is actually a sleepy (and charming) small town with not a lot to offer a tour unless you happen to be there on market day (Wednesday mornings).   Les Baux is certainly more "touristy" but the setting makes it worthwhile.

Hank

• Like 2

They are still leaning towards going to a couple Luberon villages.  I think the goal there is to see something different and picturesque, have a nice lunch somewhere, and just soak in the atmosphere.  I realize it's a long drive from the port, though, and that's what originally concerned me when Aix-en-Provence looks much closer. 

1 hour ago, MMMCruiser said:

They are still leaning towards going to a couple Luberon villages.  I think the goal there is to see something different and picturesque, have a nice lunch somewhere, and just soak in the atmosphere.  I realize it's a long drive from the port, though, and that's what originally concerned me when Aix-en-Provence looks much closer. 

You are right about the distances. 

Have you looked up pictures from various places? 

9 hours ago, MMMCruiser said:

Yes, I have used Google maps to check out the driving times, too.  They both look pretty far.

If you want to stay closer consider a tour to Aix in the morning, lunch by the harbor in Cassis, and a visit to the beautiful mountain top village of Le Castellet.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MMMCruiser said:

You are really comparing apples to kumquats!  Aix is certainly the closest major city (other than Marseille which is a place many prefer to leave) and has plenty to offer a daily visitor.  But Aix is a medium size city with a population of nearly 150,000 with a decent commercial shopping area, old town, etc.  The Luberon area to which you refer is a very rural area dotted with many small villages.  Places like Goult, Bonneiux, Lourmarin, etc. are charming although I would not want to visit small villages as part of a large tour.  But the area has certainly attracted us (when we stay in the region) and we have spent many wonderful days just driving around, trying different cafes, etc.    For a port day I think it would be fine if you have a very small private tour with a driver/guide who knows the best places to visit.    The alternative is to rent a car in Marseille (most of the rental car companies have places near the train station) and drive yourself...having done some pre-trip homework as to where you want to visit.

DW and I really love hitting villages on their market days!  Depending on the day of the week you are in Marseille, this will vary since the market days vary throughout the region.  You can learn a lot about the French regional culture by simply browsing one of those weekly markets and checking out the food products, trinkets, etc.   We have always suggested that folks planning on exploring the Luberon, first read some of Peter Mayle's wonderful books (A Year in Provence, Toujour Provence) although we do not suggest joining the hoards driving around trying to find his house (Peter Mayle fled Provence for Long Island, NY to escape the prying tourists and died in 2018).  Even when Mayle returned to Provence he avoided the area of his original home.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Provence is a large area and best visited as part of an extended land trip.  We really enjoy renting apartments (usually for 1-2 weeks) in various parts of the region which gives us enough time to really soak up the atmosphere.  We often hear that port days give folks a snapshot and in the Luberon (and Provence) it is a ridiculously short snapshot.  Cruisers really need to decide what is most important to them and focus on only a few places/things.  You cannot even begin to see it all on a short port visit.

Hank

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MMMCruiser said:

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

You are really comparing apples to kumquats!

Hank,

You are right.  People think of Provence as one small place and are unaware of the vast variety of landscapes, seascapes, cities and villages.  For example, there are "mountain top" villages on the mountains near the shore - Le Castellet, Hyeres, Bormes-les Mimosas, and all the way into Italy.  There are the "mountain top" villages further inland in the Luberon and again all the way into Italy. 

The area is notable for its rich history from pre-Roman times until now.  The larger cities - Arles, Nimes, Avignon, Aix - all have significant and beautiful historic areas surrounded by a modern city.  Wherever the OP decides to go, there will be something "different and picturesque."  Not one thing is going to give them a whole view of the region.  I always try to make a suggestion that will combine a couple of different aspects, such as a city and a village like Les Baux-Avignon or Aix-Le Castellet.  Also, I encourage them to time visits, such as the Luberon during lavender peak.  You can't have it all.

All this talk is making me want to get back over there asap.

• Like 1

Thank you both.  I really, really appreciate all the input.

First, I agree that we can only see a few of the highlights on any place on a cruise.  We like to sample new destinations this way, but it's a great way to get a first impression and decide where we would like to return for a longer visit.  I've already done that with Norway, plan to do it with Iceland, and hope to find a few gems that we love on this cruise. 

Second, I'm already reading A Year in Provence.  My dear Mother gave me the book a few months ago because she loved it and she thought I'd enjoy it as well.  No, I won't go looking for his house.

Third, I would love to go during peak lavender season, but that doesn't work with our available time off.  I did read, though, that it peaked early in 2022, so I'm hopeful we will see a bit even in early June.

We will get a lot of seascapes on this cruise, so the photos of the inland, old, picturesque villages just really appealed to us.  We often tend to not do the typical first day touring, even when in a place for only one day.  We enjoy ruins, cathedrals, and museums, but will get many opportunities to see these on the cruise (and our days in Paris and Barcelona before the cruise begins).  We also don't mind a few shops, but aren't the stereotypical tourists who want to shop a lot.  We rarely buy souvenirs, opting to pay for experiences over things (and that also helps with our desire to travel light). 

I am reaching out to a few tour guides (yes this will be a private tour for just my family) and all of your input is really helpful.  I know one day isn't enough, but I'd like to see something memorable and make the most of the short time we will have in port. 

PS - I've always wanted to go to Mont St. Michel but it's so far from Paris it will be a very long day so I'm leaning towards skipping it.  If you have opinions on this one, too, please let me know. 

13 hours ago, MMMCruiser said:

PS - I've always wanted to go to Mont St. Michel but it's so far from Paris it will be a very long day so I'm leaning towards skipping it.  If you have opinions on this one, too, please let me know. 

?????

You got me now. How and when are you going to Paris? 

15 hours ago, MMMCruiser said:

Thank you both.  I really, really appreciate all the input.

First, I agree that we can only see a few of the highlights on any place on a cruise.  We like to sample new destinations this way, but it's a great way to get a first impression and decide where we would like to return for a longer visit.  I've already done that with Norway, plan to do it with Iceland, and hope to find a few gems that we love on this cruise. 

Second, I'm already reading A Year in Provence.  My dear Mother gave me the book a few months ago because she loved it and she thought I'd enjoy it as well.  No, I won't go looking for his house.

Third, I would love to go during peak lavender season, but that doesn't work with our available time off.  I did read, though, that it peaked early in 2022, so I'm hopeful we will see a bit even in early June.

We will get a lot of seascapes on this cruise, so the photos of the inland, old, picturesque villages just really appealed to us.  We often tend to not do the typical first day touring, even when in a place for only one day.  We enjoy ruins, cathedrals, and museums, but will get many opportunities to see these on the cruise (and our days in Paris and Barcelona before the cruise begins).  We also don't mind a few shops, but aren't the stereotypical tourists who want to shop a lot.  We rarely buy souvenirs, opting to pay for experiences over things (and that also helps with our desire to travel light). 

I am reaching out to a few tour guides (yes this will be a private tour for just my family) and all of your input is really helpful.  I know one day isn't enough, but I'd like to see something memorable and make the most of the short time we will have in port. 

Look into taking a morning trip to Giverny then visiting the Orangerie Museum in Paris in the afternoon. I think you will enjoy it. 

1 hour ago, GreenFamily said:

Look into taking a morning trip to Giverny then visiting the Orangerie Museum in Paris in the afternoon. I think you will enjoy it. 

The Orangerie is a family favorite and we absolutely intend to go back, plus I am already planning a trip to Giverny.  🙂  If you have any tips on that, I'd love to hear them.  I've been trying to plan for the shore excursions before working on Paris, but we have already decided those two are very high on the must do list.

1 minute ago, MMMCruiser said:

Flying into Paris and spending a week there before going down to Barcelona to start the cruise.

Awesome.

Yes, Mont Saint-Michel is 4 hours from Paris. That would be a really long day trip.  But you have a week.  It can be done.

Are you planning to go to the Loire Valley?  You can easily see a couple of chateaux in a day trip.  Or this would be a good place to do an overnight to see more and come back to Paris by way of Chartres.

No plans for Loire Valley yet.  We have a hotel booked in Paris, so I don't want to change that.

Also, I'm still looking into closer shore excursions that were recommended in Marseille.  It feels like the Luberon area is really special but I guess if we are rushed it may not be a good use of our day there.  Pros and cons for cruising I guess.

I've also stumbled upon another itinerary - Isle-sur-la-Sorgue (we would be there on market day), Fontaine and Rousillon.  Or we could do Aix and Lourmarin.  Anyone have any thoughts on these places?  I've been looking at so many villages that I'm pretty confused at this point.

Edited by MMMCruiser

If you want to see Luberon villages, skip the Aix excursion. It would take to much time away from the villages. Stick to one area. The first choice is better. 

In early June you can see lavender in the lower areas, such as Avignon or Hyeres.  But the Luberon is lovely,  flowers or not.

Edited by marazul

Isle-sur-la-Sorque is one of my favorite towns in the area. The Sunday market is one of the best. Five college friends on the cruise together and I’ve got Marseilles to research. Not finding much of interest in the port itself so looking for a small tour to Isle-sur.la-Sorque. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 9:00 PM, MMMCruiser said:

I've also stumbled upon another itinerary - Isle-sur-la-Sorgue (we would be there on market day), Fontaine and Rousillon.  Or we could do Aix and Lourmarin.  Anyone have any thoughts on these places?  I've been looking at so many villages that I'm pretty confused at this point.

I recently posted (on another thread) about how much DW and I enjoy the Sunday morning market at Isle sur la sorgue.  Whenever we are staying in the region, if the weather is good, we will drive over to that fabulous outdoor market.   On a Sunday we would strongly recommend the tour to that market, Fontaine and Rousillon.   Aix will always be there and one can visit any day of the week,  But the market at Isle Sur La Sorgue is one of the best outdoor markets in France and it is located in a charming town.

Hank

• Like 1