Christmas Cruise on the Getaway

christinaed0419

We were on the Getaway the week before you.    I'll agree with most of what you said.  Most (if not all) water based excursions were canceled, and we left Bermuda early.   

And yes - there were WAY too many people for the staff to accommodate.    There were lines longer than I had ever seen, and entertainment was canceled <60 minutes before showtime.

We ate at the buffet, all 3 MDRs, O Sheehans, Shanghai Noodles and La Cucina.   The food was worse than it had been in the past.      Most of it was cold, and very blah flavor.    Add on wait times (even with reservations) of 2+ hours per meal, it makes it not the best.   

What made it worse was the rudeness of a lot of guests.  I  felt bad for the crew.  They were busting their butts trying to accommodate everyone.  Their attitudes were still great despite people yelling at them.   

And yes, I fully realized it was a holiday cruise.   More importantly, a "bad cruise" is better than no cruise at all!    I promptly booked another Christmas holiday cruise the day I got home.

First I'm sorry one and done poster had such a crappy time on the ship. Really, I am. I do think the 5,900 is all souls on board as @mking8288 stated. 

I'm currently in the middle of the ocean on Getaway. Per Metin, the GM, we have 4,424 passengers and about 1,450 crew. He said we are at 99% full. 

This New Year's Eve cruise has been a grand one. Not terrible at all. Again, sorry to OP that they had a bad cruise. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mlake09 said:

Feb 18-26…school break for MA schools and many others in New England too.

And the week after is NH and part of Maine.

From my Walt Disney World years I learned that some school system is on break from the 3rd week of February through the end of April.

My wife and I were on the Dec 23rd to Dec 31st Christmas cruise on the Getaway.   We were very fortunate to have a Haven Suite for the very 1st time as well as access to the thermal spa.  We loved the Haven and spa areas as it allowed us a quiet area to relax and enjoy our time off from work.  Unfortunately the NCL Getaway is not a ship that should be cruising from New York in the winter.  A majority of the venues on the ship are outdoors and could not be used on this cruise due to cold and poor weather.  (Spice H2O, Pool deck, watersides, rope course, Waterfront, Vibe, Haven courtyard) The Getaway also does not even have a decent size Bliss lounge like other ships for larger groups to gather for events or an Observation Lounge like the Bliss or Joy ships have.  Because of this the ship seemed even more crowded then a normal full capacity Xmas cruise ( we have been on 4 or 5 holiday cruises over the past 7 years)  What made it even more frustrating was that the Syd Norman bands that we were looking forward to attending inside were canceled and replaced by karaoke.  I also don't believe NCL needs to have the main shows in the thearter run for 2 consecutive nights.  We would rather have a variety of shows each night.  We love NCL but better decisions need to be made by the company to give passengers a quality winter cruise experience out of NY.

• Like 2