Train from Seward to Anchorage Question

JimP1903

We are taking a NCL cruise is June 23, ending in Seward.  I see they have a transfer/excursion to date the train to Anchorage airport, however it looks like it leaves at 6:00 am.  Is there a later train that you can take, so you can look around Seward?  And if so, has anyone done that?  What did you do with your luggage?

56 minutes ago, JimP1903 said:

We are taking a NCL cruise is June 23, ending in Seward.  I see they have a transfer/excursion to date the train to Anchorage airport, however it looks like it leaves at 6:00 am.  Is there a later train that you can take, so you can look around Seward?  And if so, has anyone done that?  What did you do with your luggage?

The Alaska Railroad has a daily early evening run during the summer.  This ARR trip is from the Seward train station to the downtown ARR station (not the Anchorage airport).  Tickets are purchased directly from the ARR.  Check the current ARR website.  In the past this was the one train option which allowed luggage to be checked in early at the Seward ARR station.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what time the Cruise ship chartered trains arrives in Anchorage.  We are on the NCL Jewel arriving in Seward on June 19th.  The meeting time for the train excursion is 6:50am.  We have a 2:20pm flight out of Anchorage.

1 hour ago, SkeeterPilot said:

Does anyone know what time the Cruise ship chartered trains arrives in Anchorage.  We are on the NCL Jewel arriving in Seward on June 19th.  The meeting time for the train excursion is 6:50am.  We have a 2:20pm flight out of Anchorage.

My preferred cruise line provides a time for the earliest air departure from Anchorage for those who book the cruise line chartered ARR.  I don't remember what that time is so hopefully someone will respond.  But the train trip is about four hours in duration.  

• Like 1

Specifics not noted:

Generally the NCL Jewel arrives well before 7 am - - -

The charter train is there waiting for boarding adjacent to the Cruise Terminal -

See image of charter train arriving at Seward - - -

How the luggage is handled (I am guessing) but on board the night before your

luggage is taken from your cabin door to the hold of the JEWEL and placed into

wire rack devices that are forklifted from ship to the charter train baggage car.

At the Anchorage airport RR station your luggage is made available for claiming.

{{{there maybe cases of a direct transfer of your luggage to your airline ??? }}}

As Northern Aurora has noted the train trip is about 4 hours - - -

Leaving at 8 am - arrives Anchorage Airport at noon (maybe earlier) -

Plenty of time to make flights at or after 2 pm

DSC09277.thumb.JPG.f37a2dd0b96ddc00d03b30e45b14e24a.JPG

13 hours ago, SkeeterPilot said:

I know on the NCL web site and under excursions for Seward, it says the train leaves about 6:00am and you shouldn't have a flight before 2:00 pm.  So I think you should be alright.

So, I am bit confused.  Is there a charter train that the cruise lines use and then a public train in town?  The reason I ask is that we were looking at just taking the NCL listed train, that is $120 pp.  But, my wife saw on the ARR site that if you want the dome car its about $240 pp.  We want to make sure, (1) we have the right train and (2) that we have a dome car.

The Cruise Chartered Train leaves on the schedule of that cruise line - - -

This one ONLY goes to the Anchorage airport --- has a variety of cars

that the cruise line contracts with the Alaska RR - dome cars ???

The fare is set by the cruise line - - -

The Alaska RR Coastal Classic train departs Seward 6 pm and arrives at

the Anchorage Depot downtown around 10 pm - does not stop at the Airport -

This train will have a mix of Gold Star dome cars {$213.00}

and Adventure class coach seating {$105.00}

In any event if the Bi-Level Dome car is requested/required - - -

BOOK IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE ! - - - It sells out fast !

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 8:05 AM, JimP1903 said:

So, I am bit confused. Is there a charter train that the cruise lines use and then a public train in town? The reason I ask is that we were looking at just taking the NCL listed train, that is $120 pp.  But, my wife saw on the ARR site that if you want the dome car its about $240 pp.  We want to make sure, (1) we have the right train and (2) that we have a dome car.

Yes, there are up to trains daily. The morning train is chartered by cruise lines, and the afternoon train is operated as regularly-scheduled train. The morning train should depart the Seward cruise line terminal at 6:50 a.m., and arrive at the Anchorage airport station at 11:20 a.m. It is a single class train, all seats reserved in Panorama Dome cars, and access to a café car. The afternoon train should depart the Seward railroad station at 6:00 p.m., and arrive at the Anchorage downtown station at 10:15 p.m. It is a two-class train. Coach ("Adventure Class") includes reserved seats in standard passenger coach cars, plus access to the unreserved seats in the Vista-Dome car, café car, and dining car. First class ("GoldStar Service") includes reserved seats in the upper level of Ultra Dome cars, with outdoor observation deck and meal in lower level dining room. Note that there are three different types of dome cars available (i.e., Vista-Dome, Panorama Dome, Ultra Dome), and you have a choice from all three types. My preference is a Vista-Dome car, but your preference might be different.

• Like 2