What's the difference between Big French Key and Little French Key? One better than the other?

BirmanCrazy

Hi! We're traveling with my 82 yr old mother.  The water seemed easy to get in and out of looking at the photos  so I was looking into visiting one of the two places.  I need easy access to the water and beach chairs with shade.  A close by bar and restroom would be nice too!  Anyone have suggestions?  Would Big or Little French Key be more suitable?  Thanks so much!

Which port are you docking at?   If Mahogany Bay, there's a beach calm water right there.  Yes it's not the West Bay snorkeling type of beach Roatan is famous for, but for an 82 year old with some mobility issues in need of a close by bar and restrooms, plus shade, it will work.

If in Coxen Hole, you'll need to take a taxi or excursion.  Then I'd suggest going to West Bay to Paradise Beach or Bananrama or Infinity. 

LFK would be a bit of a haul via taxi from Coxen Hole.  BFK I think requires a cruise excursion and in addition to transportation a small ferry ride. 

If your mother can handle getting into and out of a small ferry, perhaps Maya Key would work.   Just a short boat ride from the Coxen Hole cruise pier.  Your ship should have excursions available.

Little Frnch Key and Big French Key are right beside eachother. I have only been to little french key but absolutly love it. you do have about a 30 to 40 minute cab ride plusabout a 5 minute ferry ride on a barge style boat that hold maybe 10 people. If you can handle that little french key is amazing. 

6 hours ago, wolft927 said:

Little Frnch Key and Big French Key are right beside eachother. I have only been to little french key but absolutly love it. you do have about a 30 to 40 minute cab ride plusabout a 5 minute ferry ride on a barge style boat that hold maybe 10 people. If you can handle that little french key is amazing. 

If going to Little French Key, make sure you book on the correct website. We will be visiting Little French Key next month and I booked directly with owner Larissa,  https://littlefrenchkeyresort.com/contact/

You can contact them with any questions. 

From what I understand, you need to exit the port (you can take taxi for couple dollars to the gates) but you need to walk down the hill to where the drivers for Little French Key are waiting (wearing Frenchys 44 shirts). Not sure how difficult this would be for an 82year old. This will be our first time in this port.

As someone else said...there is a beach very near the cruise ship if you dock in Mahogany Bay. This sounds like an easier option?