Excursion help on St Thomas

2KentuckyCats

We booked a last minute cruise on Royal Caribbean and the excursion I had wanted it full - trip to Magens Bay Beach is full.

Are there beaches you can walk to? Could we get to Magens Bay on our own? How would we do that.

Also, wanted to do the island tour of St Johns, which is also full. 

traveling party is myself and husband, 75 years old.   

Edited by 2KentuckyCats

There will be taxis lined up at the dock, and they can take you to Magens. However, the ship's excursion will include round trip transportation, entry fee, beach chair, maybe an umbrella, and maybe a beverage. If you use a taxi at the dock you'll pay for amenities a la carte plus admission fee.

Emerald Beach is closer than Magens and it's a nice beach. There's a small resort on Emerald so you can rent chairs and there's no entry fee. Restaurant with open air or air conditioning is right on the beach.

Hi,

Although I have been back here a few times, I haven't been over to Megan's Bay since 2011.

Back then we didn't even know about it and only found out when we went into town and found taxi drivers showing pictures.

Six of us went over the hill which takes about 10-15 minutes and we were all put in the back of a van/small bus type vehicle.

Getting back is the same, however, I would check what port time the ship spends there as IIRC they drop you back in the town which is a 20 minute walk along the sea front from where the ship docks.

The whole thing isn't that expensive and it was a lovely beach.

BTW watch out in the sea for the diving birds!

Mick.

The taxi drivers don't regularly take Magens Bay visitors back to town unless they specifically request it. The taxi drivers will tell potential passengers which dock they are going to before passengers board. Taxi rates increased in late 2022.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ms411 said:

It's walkable for people who exercise regularly, but it's a very hot walk in the summer. It may be less than a mile all on sidewalk, but check Google maps for exact distance. It's mostly flat all the way.

We will be in St Thomas March first so it shouldn't be too hot.  We exercise daily M-F at local gym. I was afraid they had no sidewalks as I dont want to walk on the street.

Edited by carbon

You'll be fine. That section of the island is very walkable. If I were you, since you seem pretty fit, at sometime during your stay at the beach walk towards the hotel you'll see on the hill to your right. Beautiful views from up there if you keep walking on the sidewalk past the hotel entrance. There used to be a bench up there so you could sit and enjoy it.

But there's also an inflatable water park that looks like fun. If I can find the youtube video I'll post it later.

7 hours ago, Ms411 said:

You'll be fine. That section of the island is very walkable. If I were you, since you seem pretty fit, at sometime during your stay at the beach walk towards the hotel you'll see on the hill to your right. Beautiful views from up there if you keep walking on the sidewalk past the hotel entrance. There used to be a bench up there so you could sit and enjoy it.

But there's also an inflatable water park that looks like fun. If I can find the youtube video I'll post it later.

Thanks for the suggestion!

• 3 weeks later...

We stopped in St. Thomas last year (March 2022) and we took a taxi (a safari-like bus) from Crown Bay port to Magen's Bay.  I think it was $10/pp (we had two adults and two kids so we paid $50 with tip - to be clear - that was EACH WAY so a total of $100).  I can't recall what it cost to use the beach (I honestly don't recall paying but we probably did!).  There were loungers for rent, a bar and restaurant and shower/toilets.  There were PLENTY of taxis (again, safari bus things) lined up when you wanted to leave. I'm 99.999% sure that there are set fees for taxis from the two ports, downtown, etc. so it's very clear what you're paying.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 8:49 PM, Paris334 said:

We stopped in St. Thomas last year (March 2022) and we took a taxi (a safari-like bus) from Crown Bay port to Magen's Bay.  I think it was $10/pp (we had two adults and two kids so we paid $50 with tip - to be clear - that was EACH WAY so a total of $100).  I can't recall what it cost to use the beach (I honestly don't recall paying but we probably did!).  There were loungers for rent, a bar and restaurant and shower/toilets.  There were PLENTY of taxis (again, safari bus things) lined up when you wanted to leave. I'm 99.999% sure that there are set fees for taxis from the two ports, downtown, etc. so it's very clear what you're paying.

Taxi rates have gone up. Crown bay to Megan's Bay $18 or $15per person for 2 or more passengers. Each way.

On 1/14/2023 at 11:49 AM, Ms411 said:

There will be taxis lined up at the dock, and they can take you to Magens. However, the ship's excursion will include round trip transportation, entry fee, beach chair, maybe an umbrella, and maybe a beverage. If you use a taxi at the dock you'll pay for amenities a la carte plus admission fee.

Emerald Beach is closer than Magens and it's a nice beach. There's a small resort on Emerald so you can rent chairs and there's no entry fee. Restaurant with open air or air conditioning is right on the beach.

Not Royal Caribbean. There excursion no longer includes chairs and umbrella.

If the ship excursion only includes transportation and entry fee, I don't see any reason to book with the ship unless it's cheaper. You have more flexibility when you go on your own, and the taxi drivers on St Thomas go out of their way to let people know when it's time to go back to the ship. They have nothing to gain by people missing the ship.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2023 at 5:11 AM, Ms411 said:

If the ship excursion only includes transportation and entry fee, I don't see any reason to book with the ship unless it's cheaper. You have more flexibility when you go on your own, and the taxi drivers on St Thomas go out of their way to let people know when it's time to go back to the ship. They have nothing to gain by people missing the ship.

We will be on Caribbean Princess in early May. The ship’s tour that includes some sightseeing on the way to Magens Bay and the ability to stop in town to shop is $ 60 or $70 pp. it’s been many years since we shopped on St. Thomas.   Would there be cheaper tours that include these things at the port? Will taxi drivers drop you in town to shop on the way back from Magen’s Bay?  Looking for suggestions. Thanks!

Edited by Louise922
Corrections

Taxi prices went up in late 2022. I copied this from a popular website.

"Sightseeing Tours: 2 hours – One passenger $75; two or more passengers $38 per person. 3 hours – One passenger $90; two or more passengers $45 per person."

Imo there is some confusion on my part, because also listed on the rate sheet is a mandatory $3 per person luggage fee. The luggage fee in the past was usually applied to people at the airport. I've asked a few people, but nobody has given an answer, and I haven't seen any recent posts by people who went on a tour and quoted the price on the forum.

The taxis at the dock will offer tours very similar to those offered by the ship and most will give you the option for a drop off in town or your ship. If they drop you in town you pay a taxi to get back to your ship or you can walk back if you're able.

Some of the tours (including those offered by the ships) may include non alcohol beverages, so they may charge more than the published rate.

The shopping in town is a mere fraction of what it used to be, unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2023 at 3:39 AM, BennyandBo said:

How much if you only want 1 chair and umbrella? Thanks

2 hours ago, Ms411 said:

Taxi prices went up in late 2022. I copied this from a popular website.

"Sightseeing Tours: 2 hours – One passenger $75; two or more passengers $38 per person. 3 hours – One passenger $90; two or more passengers $45 per person."

Imo there is some confusion on my part, because also listed on the rate sheet is a mandatory $3 per person luggage fee. The luggage fee in the past was usually applied to people at the airport. I've asked a few people, but nobody has given an answer, and I haven't seen any recent posts by people who went on a tour and quoted the price on the forum.

The taxis at the dock will offer tours very similar to those offered by the ship and most will give you the option for a drop off in town or your ship. If they drop you in town you pay a taxi to get back to your ship or you can walk back if you're able.

Some of the tours (including those offered by the ships) may include non alcohol beverages, so they may charge more than the published rate.

Where can I find out about shopping in St. Thomas?

ThereTaxi prices went up in late 2022. I copied this from a popular website.

There really isn't a good shopping source, unfortunately. If you have something in mind I can probably tell you if it's available. I like shopping in town at Palm Passage because they have several stores with merchandise that you probably won't find elsewhere. Handpainted clothing and accessories, photo gifts, local made jewelry, super cute crocheted dolls, etc. I generally don't buy t-shirts.

18 hours ago, Ms411 said:

There really isn't a good shopping source, unfortunately. If you have something in mind I can probably tell you if it's available. I like shopping in town at Palm Passage because they have several stores with merchandise that you probably won't find elsewhere. Handpainted clothing and accessories, photo gifts, local made jewelry, super cute crocheted dolls, etc. I generally don't buy t-shirts.

Nice. I may want to look at earrings or tennis bracelet. I haven’t had much luck with that stuff though. 😊

Edited by Louise922
Louise922 edited