Santiago to Buenos Aires

RetiredandTravel

We just completed a Lima to Buenos Aires cruise last month with Regent. We were either the first cruise or one of the first cruises into many of the ports. There were challenges with many excursions and, in speaking with the Supervisor in charge, the main problems were related to getting guides and perhaps to a greater extent busses and drivers. South American tourism was hit hard by the pandemic and many people left for other occupations and have not come back. No doubt, as time goes by, the issues should improve. 

• Thanks 1

RetiredandTravel,

Where are you staying in Santiago? It's a large city and some areas have groceries and wine shops and some don't. In several of the shopping malls there are also groceries with libation departments too.

Are you interested in taking ship's tours or self booked tours? EcoUruguay was just used in every port on a cruise. Unfortunately it was not on an O ship but the itinerary was very similar to what O offers. The tour company has offices in Hartford, CT. and has guides who are returning to work as South America is opening back up for tourism. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the responses.

Given the feedback I think we will focus on the 3/2025 cruise.  It doesn't do the Antarctica drive by which I think is preferrable. We were thinking of staying in either the Ritz Carlton or Mandarin.

Honestly  we are wondering if we would be better off doing a land based trip where we go to Santiago, Buenos Aires & Patagonia for 4 nights each.  Do you think there is enough to do in Santiago & Buenos Aires for 3 full days?

We are no spring chickens and will probably go on the cruise but we're knocking it around.

Thanks again very helpful responses.

57 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

BsAs is easily worth a week, it’s one of my favorite cities, but do be careful. Although I’ve been to Santiago several times, it was on business so I’m just not as familiar w its attractions.

Thanks.  We aren't really Malbec fans but love Cabernet & blends so Mendoza would work.  Maybe BA, Mendoza & Patagonia but its quite a distance in between them.  There are some great looking hotels in Patagonia.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/south-america/chile/chilean-patagonia/hotels/

When you say be careful how careful?  We don't really go out at night except taxis to restaurants, we lived in NYC most of our adult lives so know how to try and avoid trouble.  We would of course being going to tourist sites.

Have you been on Oceania & Regent?  How do they compare?  We are big food & wine people, my research says that Oceania would be a good fit.

ty

Remember that Santiago easily includes visiting Valparaiso which is much more attractive. Several day trips out of Santiago to completely different wine regions are available. Stay in one hotel in Santiago and hit all the area including Patagonia.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Thanks.  We aren't really Malbec fans but love Cabernet & blends so Mendoza would work.  Maybe BA, Mendoza & Patagonia but its quite a distance in between them.  There are some great looking hotels in Patagonia.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/south-america/chile/chilean-patagonia/hotels/

When you say be careful how careful?  We don't really go out at night except taxis to restaurants, we lived in NYC most of our adult lives so know how to try and avoid trouble.  We would of course being going to tourist sites.

Have you been on Oceania & Regent?  How do they compare?  We are big food & wine people, my research says that Oceania would be a good fit.

ty

No worries if you are experienced travelers. Well, BsAs can have some crime, same as other cities in many parts of the world. I was really just covering my bases by adding that caveat.

I have gone on 2 Oceania cruises and one Regent cruise (6 weeks ago). I love Oceania but I do think Regent is better with one exception. I was very disappointed with their included wines. On the Regent forum I did pick up the tip to go to the wine tasting and try the many different included wines that are available. I was able to find one red and one white that I was perfectly content to drink.
For the whole cruise I always asked to be served that Specific wine. I thought much of the included wine was not good. Having said that, I think wine opens up better when paired with the right foods, and I did not have the opportunity to eat anything while I was tasting various wines. There was food available, I was probably rushing off to a bridge lesson. I do remember being in quite a rush and almost having missed the wine tasting.

I do think the Regent cruise was better, but it was also more expensive. It was a really great cruise and I made some forever friends, same as I have done on Oceania as well. Regent is a little better over the top more luxurious, but like I said it’s also more expensive. 
both are great cruise lines - enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1