Houston and Galveston questions for any local people.

waughy

Hello

Myself  and my daughter are from Uk are on a cruise from Galveston. Flying into George Bush airport and going to book a shuttle to Galveston where we will stay night before. 
Any recommendations of what to do on the Friday night gratefully received. Both over 21.  
Post cruise heading to Houston for a few days before flying home. We will not be driving. Very happy with public transport. 
questions- it appears Galveston has a bus station but cannot get information on where these buses go to?  Does anyone know is there a bus/train we can get to Houston on?  Even if we have to change etc or get half way then order an Uber/Lyft. 
the price for an Uber to Houston is pricey - do people car share? I’m more than happy to do that if people do this? 
Whilst  in Houston we want to go shopping at cypress premium outlet. Again can anyone help out with trips that go there or public transport routes? I have found there is a park and ride but the times are more geared for people going into Houston with buses to cypress not starting at 2pm or am I reading the timetable wrong? 

thanks any help much appreciated. Coming from uk where public transport in my area is excellent, finding it slightly frustrating that a huge tourist attraction , cruise port is not catered to. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, waughy said:

Hello

Myself  and my daughter are from Uk are on a cruise from Galveston. Flying into George Bush airport and going to book a shuttle to Galveston where we will stay night before. 
Any recommendations of what to do on the Friday night gratefully received. Both over 21.  
Post cruise heading to Houston for a few days before flying home. We will not be driving. Very happy with public transport. 
questions- it appears Galveston has a bus station but cannot get information on where these buses go to?  Does anyone know is there a bus/train we can get to Houston on?  Even if we have to change etc or get half way then order an Uber/Lyft. 
the price for an Uber to Houston is pricey - do people car share? I’m more than happy to do that if people do this? 
Whilst  in Houston we want to go shopping at cypress premium outlet. Again can anyone help out with trips that go there or public transport routes? I have found there is a park and ride but the times are more geared for people going into Houston with buses to cypress not starting at 2pm or am I reading the timetable wrong? 

thanks any help much appreciated. Coming from uk where public transport in my area is excellent, finding it slightly frustrating that a huge tourist attraction , cruise port is not catered to. 

Check this website. www.galveston.com  

There is a trolley that makes runs from the seawall to the Strand, but public transportation is not available. Taking an Uber/Lyft would be your best option, suggest you contact the Galveston Visitors center for more information, www.visitgalveston.com

I

The Houston area is HUGE and there is very little public transportation. Spending several days and not having a car will make getting around very expensive. The only real alternative will be Lyft/Uber. Not sure how far out 290 the Cypress Outlet Mall is located, but I'm sure it's at least 25 miles from downtown and probably more. You will not have buses and trains like the UK.

You will find that Texans get around in cars, the freeway system is extensive! "Metro" in Houston offers buses and trains through out the area. "www.ridemetro.org" should provide you information on routes, schedules, etc. Metro's transportation system is not anywhere near what you have in the UK. Pickup stations are open air with a small cover.

The Cypress Outlet Mall that you referred to is about 70 miles from Galveston,  about 35 miles from downtown Houston.

I am not sure if there is a car rental facility in Galveston, suggest you contact the Galveston Chamber of Commerce or Galveston Visitors Center.

Edited by DannyMac

On 1/18/2023 at 8:27 PM, Texas Tillie said:

The Houston area is HUGE and there is very little public transportation. Spending several days and not having a car will make getting around very expensive. The only real alternative will be Lyft/Uber. Not sure how far out 290 the Cypress Outlet Mall is located, but I'm sure it's at least 25 miles from downtown and probably more. You will not have buses and trains like the UK.

I agree, you'll spend a fortune in rides. I would rent a car. If your cruise ends on a Saturday, you can pick up from the Galveston location. If it ends on a Sunday, you'll have to Uber to the nearest location with Sunday hours. Maybe look in the Clear Lake area up by NASA (which should be on your list if not already!)