Boarding, then going back ashore on departure day

lesliek

We are sailing on the Ovation from Sint Maarten on Feb. 11.  We don't sail until 11:00 pm.  While my husband and I are flying in the day before we sail, the other couple we are traveling with don't arrive until 1:00 pm on our departure day.  

We would all like to go to the bar by the airport to watch the planes come in after our friends arrive and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do that.  Should we check in for the cruise, deposit our bags, etc., then leave to go to the bar and return to the ship afterward?  That's our inclination but I wanted to make sure we would be allowed to leave the ship on our arrival day after checking in.  

I'd love anyone's thoughts on the best way to accomplish this, or to know that our plan won't work for some reason.

Thanks!

If you are talking about Mayo Beach then a word of caution. Be guided by the number and size of ships in port with you. We tried to do that pre-covid and the road congestion was an absolute nightmare. Even with a 4 hour window we abandoned that plan and had our taxi turn back to Philipsburg. If you look at map you will see there is only one road to that side of the island, I’m guessing you don’t plan on being at beach bar into the evening.

22 minutes ago, Cantara24 said:

If you are talking about Mayo Beach then a word of caution. Be guided by the number and size of ships in port with you. We tried to do that pre-covid and the road congestion was an absolute nightmare. Even with a 4 hour window we abandoned that plan and had our taxi turn back to Philipsburg. If you look at map you will see there is only one road to that side of the island, I’m guessing you don’t plan on being at beach bar into the evening.

Is Mayo Beach the one by the airport where the planes come above your head as they are about to land? That's where we are hoping to go. The airport seems to be about 4 miles from the port but I don't have a feel for how long it would take to go back and forth.

Yes Mayo Beach is at runway approach. As mentioned it is traffic versus distance that is the issue. The beach is very popular for the reason you want to go, and if there is large number of ships in port that many more people will be doing what your doing.

• Like 1