Moody Gardens?

denas

Hello-

we are cruising out of Galveston on the Allure this summer. In looking at our flight options, I think we will fly back home the day after our cruise since none of the times for direct flights are that great.  

Looking for things to do. We have a 16-year-old and an autistic 12-year-old who uses a wheelchair. 

we are thinking Moody Gardens might be fun. Can anyone provide insight?  I can’t seem to find ticket prices. Not sure if the hotel there is a good option or we would be better just doing a day there and finding a hotel near Hobby that night for a Monday morning flight. not sure what traffic from Galveston to Hobby is like in a Monday morning vs Sunday evening. 

Thanks for any suggestions

Moody Gardens should be good for your family as they have a variety of attractions , most of which are wheelchair friendly.  It's been a while since we took our kids through the attractions but we did stay at the hotel in late December before a cruise.  Ticket prices for an all-attraction pass (the recommended option)  start at $60 and go up from there but you would stay busy all day with all the options.  

Right next door is Galveston Schlitterbahn, a pretty nice waterpark which is also an option although you need to determine if it's too much for everyone in the family.

Moody Gardens hotel can be pricy if you plan on staying there.  Dining prices are on par with other resort hotels, which is to say expensive.  Our check-in took a while because of long lines and too few clerks.  Rooms and grounds were nice, however, with a very nice pool and play area.

Staying in Galveston or near Hobby depends on your flight schedule and mobility.  Not much to do without a car anywhere in the area but if you have an early flight then you don't have much of a choice.  If you have a later flight, Moody Gardens would be a nice post-cruise event.  

Lots of knowledgeable people from the area on this board, hope others join the conversation.

1 hour ago, txjim09 said:

Moody Gardens should be good for your family as they have a variety of attractions , most of which are wheelchair friendly.  It's been a while since we took our kids through the attractions but we did stay at the hotel in late December before a cruise.  Ticket prices for an all-attraction pass (the recommended option)  start at $60 and go up from there but you would stay busy all day with all the options.  

Right next door is Galveston Schlitterbahn, a pretty nice waterpark which is also an option although you need to determine if it's too much for everyone in the family.

Moody Gardens hotel can be pricy if you plan on staying there.  Dining prices are on par with other resort hotels, which is to say expensive.  Our check-in took a while because of long lines and too few clerks.  Rooms and grounds were nice, however, with a very nice pool and play area.

Staying in Galveston or near Hobby depends on your flight schedule and mobility.  Not much to do without a car anywhere in the area but if you have an early flight then you don't have much of a choice.  If you have a later flight, Moody Gardens would be a nice post-cruise event.  

Lots of knowledgeable people from the area on this board, hope others join the conversation.

We have it booked in November for 250 which I thought is a good price for a upscale hotel. We are going precruise I like they have a upscale restaurant with live music.

5 minutes ago, George C said:

We have it booked in November for 250 which I thought is a good price for a upscale hotel. We are going precruise I like they have a upscale restaurant with live music.

That is a good price and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Our stay was Dec 28 and they still had their Christmas attractions up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, txjim09 said:

That is a good price and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Our stay was Dec 28 and they still had their Christmas attractions up. 

What impressed me was we had them booked and had to cancel at the last moment , they required 24 hours notice, when we called them to tell them dfw airport was closed because of weather , they didn’t charge us a penalty. We are looking forward to staying there . Some of the other really good hotels like San Luis required a 2 night stay and was way more expensive.