Remembering Knut Kloster - founder of NCL

coaster

I saw an article recently about a plaque being installed in NCL's cruise terminal in Miami as a tribute to Knut Kloster. Having been a great fan of NCL under Kloster in the 90's before Star Cruises bought them out in a hostile takeover, this is of interest to me. Anyone have a picture of it or remember seeing it in Miami? 

Edited by coaster

12 minutes ago, coaster said:

I saw an article recently about a plaque being installed in NCL's cruise terminal in Miami as a tribute to Knut Kloster. Having been a great fan of NCL under Kloster in the 90's before Star Cruises bought them out in a hostile takeover, this is of interest to me. Anyone have a picture of it or remember seeing it in Miami? 

The article you saw may be dated...back in 2020 when Knut passed away, NCL announced that the main hall of their Miami Terminal would be named "Kloster Hall" in his memory.

5 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

The article you saw may be dated...back in 2020 when Knut passed away, NCL announced that the main hall of their Miami Terminal would be named "Kloster Hall" in his memory.

Did they name it Kloster Hall? That would be appropriate. 

26 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

The terminal is named "The Pearl of Miami". The main hall inside is "Kloster Hall".

Hopefully there is a sign or plaque inside the hall to state Kloster Hall. Kloster did sadly pass in 2020 and saw another article where he was sitting on his porch wIth the original bell from Sunward. Not the NCL Sunward we cruised on in 1993, but the Sunward  launched in 1966. Sunward in 1993 was the ex Royal Viking Sky and got me hooked on cruising. She was launched in 1973.

Edited by coaster

2 minutes ago, coaster said:

Hopefully there is a sign or plaque inside the hall to state Kloster Hall. Kloster did sadly pass in 2020 and saw another article where he was sitting on his porch wIth the original bell from Sunward. Not the NCL Sunward from 1993 I went on, but Sunward from 1966. Sunward in 1993 was the ex Royal Viking Sky and got hooked on cruising.

Agree. He should be honored. He really revolutionized the industry.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Agree. He should be honored. He really revolutionized the industry.

Andy Stuart was a also a great guy with NCL also. Former NCL president and CEO in 2020. He had the Kloster background from the 80's and knew the heritage of NCL and respected it like I do.  Andy did say he was surprised in an interview years later with all the negative feedback from us who liked traditional dining and was more than he thought when Star Cruises bought the line. FDR going all in on go carts with taking up too much public space on upper decks was too much for Andy in 2020. Just my take on NCL...

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1