Recently back from Progresso

freezerburn

Hi all,

I hadn't seen much posted here about Progresso before our cruise last week so I wanted to tell you guys about the shops next to the ship.  We opted not to take the bus ride into town.  Overall I would say the shops have largely recovered from when we last sailed there about 3 years ago.  The large shop in the round building was full of merchandise and people.  We bought the Cinco Soles vanilla there for a few dollars less than it would have cost in the Cozumel port.  Prices for nearly identical things like maracas, throws/blankets, and hats were largely the same everywhere.  The last shop on the right (before you exit to the bus area) had the cheapest maracas.  Also, we found the best prices on throws and other small things to be at the last shop on the left AFTER you exit to the bus area.  Its entrance faces the bus/parking lot so you have to exit the shops and turn left to find it.  They have a pharmacy there as well.  We didn't do much else before heading back to the ship.  One new item that seemed to be everywhere were hand-painted christmas ornaments.  We found the best prices for those in Cozumel.  Hope this info helps someone heading that way.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@freezerburnI've been to Progesso once several years ago and I don't really remember what the port area looked like. (We took a bus tour to the Uxmal ruins.) It sounds like there's a port shopping area from your description. Is it a long walk from getting off the ship? I'm asking a few questions for my parents who are in their mid-80's and will be there in mid-April on Radiance. They aren't interested in a long bus ride anywhere. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...