Change date/cancellation

1kaper

Just wondering if anyone has done this - I am booked through MSC Canada for a March cruise.  I screwed up the cancellation timeline and I'm now on the verge of 75% penalty.  My mistake.  I booked with wrong credit card and thought I had trip insurance, I do not. I am now not able to take the cruise due to a medical condition at the advice of a doctor that would otherwise be covered. 

I booked Fantastica which gives me one free cruise change. 
Could I change it to a date later on in the year and then cancel, costing me only the deposit?

You can change the date, not sure about getting a full refund on that same cruise at a later date. 
With a changed date you may be able to add the insurance through insuremytrip or a similar company 

Edited by styles27

16 minutes ago, styles27 said:

You can change the date, not sure about getting a full refund on that same cruise at a later date. 
With a changed date you may be able to add the insurance through insuremytrip or a similar company 

I don't think adding the trip insurance would work since it is now a pre-exisiting condition. 

8 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I don't think adding the trip insurance would work since it is now a pre-exisiting condition. 

Maybe. I don’t remember them asking me any specific questions about that sort of thing. I’ve only just used that website for insurance for this last cruise we just returned from. 
You could look on the website and do a mock search for that cruise. 

6 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

Some insurances don't ask about pre-existing conditions.

I can't really see them paying out a claim for missing the cruise because of a medical reason when they find out it was diagnosed prior to buying the insurance.  
But maybe I'm wrong.  I will look into it. 

And the only CFAR insurance I see is 50% back.  I'm currently at the 50% loss stage. 

I'm currently waiting to hear back what happens if I move the cruise to June then cancel more than 90 days out.  On a regular booking that would be lose deposit only. 

Edited by 1kaper

Under exclusions.  " Any pre-existing medical condition affecting you or your family member, caregiver, friend, business partner, host at destination, employer or key employee, unless the pre-existing medical condition was stable on or within the 60 days before the date this Insurance is purchased. "

I will not be stable for 60 days.  I should just be ending treatment in June. 

37 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

Under exclusions.  " Any pre-existing medical condition affecting you or your family member, caregiver, friend, business partner, host at destination, employer or key employee, unless the pre-existing medical condition was stable on or within the 60 days before the date this Insurance is purchased. "

I will not be stable for 60 days.  I should just be ending treatment in June. 

Can you book it later than June?

To update - I never did get an answer.  One woman was supposed to call me back after she checked with her supervisor, she never did. 

The next guy had no clue.  The guy after that didn't know. 

As for my situation - I initially called to ask.  As mentioned, didn't get an answer.  Then I found a cruise from New York in June that I hoped to move to (June being 3 months from sail date as required by the "free cruise change".  The guy I spoke to this time clearly was new or something. At first he told me I couldn't change my cruise, then checked and said I could.  I asked if I could change from a Miami sailing to New York and he said yes.  So we went through the whole thing.  The NY cruise was cheaper than what I paid if I didn't get drinks and wifi (my original booking was fantastic with the drinks and wifi deal).  He said I wouldn't get any money back though.  So then I asked if I could book it with the drinks and wifi and that would cost me another $1500.   I did not want to pay more for a cruise with less perks.  Then he informed me that not only that, but the change wasn't free, it would be another $400 plus.  So I let him go. 

When I googled I realized that the "free cruise change" means change of itinerary OR date before 30 days of sailing.  So I called back and spoke to another guy wanting to change it to a June cruise of the same itinerary.  I explained to him my situation.  I just wanted to take a cruise and not lose a ton of money.  He was actually very good.  We checked and the one cruise that I might be able to take would cost me another $1000 for my room category and all the cheaper ones were sold out.  He said he wanted to talk to his supervisor about my case and wanted to call me back the next day. 

He did and told me that there is nothing they can do. 

I'm still not even sure I'll be able to sail in June so we will be cancelling.  Now that's the issue.  On the day I called I was at 50% loss of my cruise fare.  The next day was 75%.  I am hoping since they delayed the cancellation I'll get the 50 but I'm not holding my breath.