Want to book my cruise - questions

tbmrt

I started booking my past cruises directly with the cruiselines because I found it easier to get answers and if needed, action re: price decreases, etc. than having to wait for responses from TA's whom I booked with years ago (especially on weekends).

Does anyone here agree with this or do you find it easier to book with your TA?  I know you cannot recommend a TA here, but wondering how I should book.   I didn't look into the discount percentages and sailors loot yet so that could be a mind changer.

Also, I tried looking at some bookings, but see lots of accommodations already sold out.  How far in advance do you think I should book my non-holiday, non-spring break, etc Caribbean cruise? Thinking of a balcony, not sure if I should go regular or XL? Getting a "limited" type is scary to me because I don't think I'd like a lifeboat directly  in my view.

Thanks so much.

It depends on your TA.  I work directly with the owner of their business who is literally always available by FB private chat feature, phone, or email.  My TA has cruised Virgin something like a dozen times and does lots of little things to make my cruise easier or better.  

As to when to book....as soon as you know what you want.  Prices went up yesterday, but only a little.  There is currently a "free alcohol with booking" perk scheduled to end Feb. 28.  No one knows what will come next.  There is always some sort of a special but it is not necessarily "better" than the last one.  I repriced my upcoming cruise with yesterday's deal and happily found that my booking continues to be a better deal, even if I factored in the free bar tab.  I've seen a LITTLE wiggle in prices, but only a little.  For instance the cruise I mentioned above was able to be rebooked several months ago for a savings of $135.  Not a huge deal, but every bit counts.

One good thing to look for--unlike other lines, VV "My next cruise certificates" are transferrable.  THese are future cruise vouchers.  THe usual deal is that they cost $300 and count toward your down payment.  In addition, you get $300 off the cruise price plus up to $800 in "loot:" (onboard credit).  THe "Normal" deal is $300 loot, but it has been $600 for a while.  My TA buys the max allowable of 8 each time she cruises (or books for clients who have given instructions while she is on board).  She then resells them to clients...so you could get a "future cruise" benefit for your first cruise, and these layer in addition to any other special.  A friend could do the same thing for you.  Many TAs take advantage of this for their clients....but you have to talk to one who has some available.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Not every TA books Virgin, but those who do are getting the highest commission rates in the industry, so you should get something extra for booking with them. Our TA gives us an additional $100 bar tab.

Nice....My TA gave us $150.....so def "pays" to use a TA if that are able to book with Virgin V.

• Like 1