Rotterdam - cabin and Amsterdam help

islander47

• December 2, 2007
  • St. Simons Island, GA USA

I am probably on the wrong place to ask this, but we are trying to book a verandah balcony room on the Rotterdam on the crossing from Amsterdam to Ft. Lauderdale in October. Neither of us get sea sick so don't mind be in a forward cabin. There are about 10 available between 5003 and 5046, and about 10 between 6003 and 6045, and 11022, 10032, 11038, 11035, and 11039 on the Sun Deck.

We need to go ahead and book something because the full 29 day cruise including the crossing has only 2 balcony rooms with stainless steel walls available, as of today. This is really our first choice and would grab a cancellation but not sure how that works. Any suggestions? When I called HAL they failed to tell me about the stainless steel balcony so am asking for some first had advice on this relative  new ship.

Also, if we do the crossing part only, have any of you done a HAL pre-cruise in Amsterdam? We like to be gone at least 3 weeks but don't want to lug a big suitcase everywhere doing this on our own. Another other pre-cruise suggestions would be most appreciated.

If I am in the wrong area for this posting, please steer me to the right place in Cruise Critic! Everyone has always been so helpful here but have really only used the roll call area in the past so not sure what I'm doing here 🙂

I could swear that I answered your question last night on a live from thread but I can't find it now!??

I told you to look on the Ports of Call forums for Northern Europe for Amsterdam info.  Look at TripAdvisor and other online travel sites for Amsterdam suggestions.  Your Roll Call should have suggestions too.

You really, really should ask a travel agent to help you since you seem to be very unsure what to book.  If there are only two verandah rooms left, then book some other type of cabin or ask HAL to get waitlisted for a veranda cabin cancellation.  

I just don't understand exactly what you want to know about booking?  Cruise Critic can't book for you.

Maybe you can restate your question and be more specific.

Thanks,

~Nancy

Not really understanding the question, but here you can find rooms and on halfacts.com also. https://www.icruise.com/cabins/holland-america-cruises-rotterdam-cabin-VC5046.html

I do see balcony rooms on 6 forward available.  I think these would be a good distance away from the World Stage 3 floors below so you don't hear the sound.   

We were in a steel rail balcony VH on Koningsdam. They are forward on deck 4. We heard music from the World Stage some afternoons for rehearsals and for the evening performances, which do not run late and didn’t interfere with sleeping.

The balcony was quite large with some of it open to sun and some of it with good shade. We got it for the same price as an ocean view so it was a good deal. The view is not obstructed by life boats, just that from the railing down to the floor is not glass, it’s steel hull. 

Hoping you find something that works for you. Ask more specific questions here and we will try to answer.

Call HAL to talk with a cruise consultant, ask questions and learn what’s available, may be better than trying to book online. If selection is thin, you could request to book a guarantee category and then be assigned a room in that category or better about a week before the cruise, but you will get a room, maybe save some money, but you will have to take what they assign. 
m—

You really should use a travel agent that specializes in cruises! They can book you and then keep tabs on availability of a cabin you would prefer and get you booked into that. Do Amsterdam on your own…much more reasonable than through the cruise line.

Miraculously, my travel agent whom I always use for cruising, was able to find quite a few verandah balcony rooms for us on the full 29 day cruise/crossing on the Rotterdam this fall. Hmm....do you think my travel services reserves rooms with deposits for future clients, or do you think HAL reserves some rooms for travel agents to use that do not show for individuals browsing or calling the HAL info number?

Good news is we are going and have a nice room 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, islander47 said:

do you think my travel services reserves rooms with deposits for future clients, or do you think HAL reserves some rooms for travel agents to use that do not show for individuals browsing or calling the HAL info number?

Either could be true. In the past, HAL (along with other lines, I am sure) has played "games" with showing only a limited number of cabins available. You used to be able to put in a specific cabin number and sometimes have it be bookable, even if it didn't show on the deckplan as available! Haven't seen that lately, but then I haven't booked too many cruises since the shut down. 

• Like 1

As for visiting Amsterdam, we did a couple of days pre-cruise on our own. Booked a hotel within walking distance from the train station and canal boats. Bought canal boat tickets. And used the tram too. Amsterdam is an easy place for touring on your own, in my experience. Hotels can be booked on line through any of several booking sights… hotels dot com, booking dot com, Expedia dot com, and others, for examples. Travel agents can make those arrangements for you too. 

• Like 2