Iceland, Ireland, & Liverpool - Excursion?

Hello All,

I took a Caribbean cruise 15 years ago and spent a bit of time in the forums for each port to find private excursions and tours that were popular.  It was fantastic!  There were no crowds, it was cheaper than the official ones, and overall much more satisfying than picking the ones from the cruise ship.  We would be just leaving an area in our tour car as five van loads from my ship would pull up.

I'll now be cruising to Iceland, Ireland, and Liverpool and was hoping to find information about private tours and excursions, but there isn't a whole sub forum dedicated to each port, like the others.   I'm sure it doesn't get enough traffic, but I was hoping to find more information. 

Anyone know anything good to do or recommendations for excursions in these areas?  We have 2 young adults, 2 middle aged, and 2 grandparents.  We don't have to do everything together, so  don't worry about something not being a good fit.   The grandparents don't kayak, but the rest of would.   

Any suggestions?  Recommendations?  Thanks in advance!

5 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

I'll now be cruising to Iceland, Ireland

Both Iceland and Ireland have multiple ports which welcome cruise ships.  Perhaps you would get a more focused response if you mentioned the particular ports you will be visiting.

Assuming one of the Iceland stops is Reykjavik, there are lots of companies running versions of the classic  Golden Circle tour running to Geysir, the geothermal areas, Thingvallir National Park and Gulfoss waterfalls. They tend to be quite long trips but the scenery is amazing and an excellent introduction to Iceland.

Several Iceland Ports have similar trips. From Akureyri, trips to Lake Myvatn go through some incredible scenery. There are also whale watching tours from both Akureyri and Isafjordur where you have a good chance of seeing humpback whales and puffins if that is your thing.

I have worked a lot in Liverpool and it is a great City to walk around. The Royal Albert Docks area has some nice bars and restaurants, plus everything from the Beatles Experience to a branch of the Tate Gallery. The two cathedrals are well worth a visit (and the views from the top of the tower of the Anglican Cathedral great if you have a head for heights).If you are in to The Beatles, a trip to the Cavern Club is worthwhile. All of that is easy to do on your own in a day. 

Alternatively a day trip to Snowdonia in North Wales is possible from Liverpool, which has some lovely mountain scenery as well as interesting places such as Caernarfon Castle, where you will hear Welsh being spoken as a first language (don't worry - everyone speaks fluent English as well!). Chester is also a nice day trip from Liverpool. Personally, though, if you have not been to Liverpool I would probably stay there on a first trip.

• Like 1

I think we are on the same cruise possibly.  The ports are Reykjavik, Akureyri, Seydisfjordur, Belfast, Liverpool, and Cork (Cobh).  In Akureyri we are booked with Sage Travel for the Lake Mývatn Classic tour.  I can't find anything for Seydisfjordur.  Cork is only a 6-hour stop on a Sunday for us, so that one is difficult, too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Both Iceland and Ireland have multiple ports which welcome cruise ships.  Perhaps you would get a more focused response if you mentioned the particular ports you will be visiting.

Of course!

• Reykjavik, Iceland
  • Akureyri, Iceland
  • Seydisfjordur, Iceland
  • Belfast, Northern Irelan
  • Liverpool, England
  • Cork (Cobh), Ireland
Edited by heychadwick

2 hours ago, tyson said:

I think we are on the same cruise possibly.  The ports are Reykjavik, Akureyri, Seydisfjordur, Belfast, Liverpool, and Cork (Cobh).  In Akureyri we are booked with Sage Travel for the Lake Mývatn Classic tour.  I can't find anything for Seydisfjordur.  Cork is only a 6-hour stop on a Sunday for us, so that one is difficult, too.

Yes!  Same port.  I'll have to check out Sage Travel.    Thanks for that.  My daughter spent a few weeks in Iceland last year and has ideas as to where we should go.    I'm trying to find other sources, as well.

21 hours ago, heychadwick said:

Cork (Cobh), Ireland

Butlers Buses are well recommended for tours from Cobh: https://www.butlers-buses.com/cobh-shore-excursion.php

Alternatively the train station is just adjacent to the quayside and a 30 minute train ride to Cork City.

Another option is to stay in Cobh, which is a lovely visit on a sunny day!  Visit the Titanic Experience, which is located on the building site of the White Star Line's ticket office.

https://www.titanicexperiencecobh.ie/

Or take a trip to Spike Island from Cobh    https://www.spikeislandcork.ie/

• Like 1