please help me choose the best line /ship for the needs of my group!

bookmomoftwins

Planning a cruise to Alaska--there are only 5 of us, ages 40-75, no kids, but different interests / priorities are making it difficult to choose one.  We're looking at a 7 day cruise in June or early July.

Two of us are most interested in Alaskan scenery and wildlife- for us, HAL and Princess seemed like a good fit because of their experience in the area and ability to sail into Glacier Bay. 

The other three going on the trip value high quality evening music / entertainment, wine tastings, and other activities onboard and want a mix of that with the Alaskan siteseeing.  For them, bigger ships / cruiselines seem to be a better bet, even though that could mean skipping Glacier Bay and not getting as close to shore.

What lines or ships would be a good fit for our group? We have all cruised before, though not to Alaska.

Thank you for your advice and expertise!

11 minutes ago, bookmomoftwins said:

Koningsdam is definitely a possible option--I know that's one I would like 🙂 I have seen reviews from the last few months about HAL entertainment being sparse, but I know staffing is tough on all the lines right now, not just that one.

If you haven't been to AK, the scenery is the primary entertainment.  I spent so much time on my balcony looking through my binoculars.  And if you drink you won't be bored at night.  I recommend balconies (verandahs) and recommend each person to bring their own binoculars.  The upside to Vancouver is sailing through Johnstone Strait.  The downside is flights into YVR and hotels in Vancouver cost $$$.  I was on the Koningsdam in June 2022.  Liked it so much that I'll be on her again in July 2023.

Edited by PACD_JG
  • Like 2

I would pick a ship with the most ports and glacier times and best time in ports. I agree with others that Alaska is about scenery. I would encourage your group to eat in ports and enjoy the local food. I agree about Princess and HAL having great itineraries.

In Alaska I could watch the scenery all day long. In the Caribbean, not. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

If you haven't been to AK, the scenery is the primary entertainment.  I spent so much time on my balcony looking through my binoculars.  And if you drink you won't be bored at night.  I recommend balconies (verandahs) and recommend each person to bring their own binoculars.  The upside to Vancouver is sailing through Johnstone Strait.  The downside is flights into YVR and hotels in Vancouver cost $$$.  I was on the Koningsdam in June 2022.  Liked it so much that I'll be on her again in July 2023.

We planned on flying in or out of Vancouver, as we heard the seas are less rough on that route and two of us are prone to motion sickness.  Also, my husband's ancestors are French-Canadian, so spending a bit more time in Canada would be a plus :)

Adding binoculars to my "to-buy" list--thank you!

My wife and I are going on our 4th Alaskan cruise this June.  We have done R/T out of Seattle twice and a southbound 1 way out of Seward.  We have done 1 on the Norwegian Encore and 2 on the Norwegian Jewel.  This time we are doing a northbound from Vancouver to Seward on the Jewel again.  We really like the smaller ship better for Alaska.  The major reason that we chose this cruise is it goes to two of the in my opinion "can't miss places" for an Alaskan cruise.  These are Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bookmomoftwins said:

How do the Majestic Princess and Sapphire Princess compare to Koningsdam? Those have one-way routes rather than a loop, which looks like it could mean more time in ports in some cases, but I don't know if it's a significant difference.  

I actually like the Sapphire Princess. I think smaller ships are better for Alaska and the ship has more outside viewing areas compared to Majestic Princess. Of all the Princess ships, this ship I have been on the most.

I have not been on Koningsdam to compare the two.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Coral said:

I actually like the Sapphire Princess. I think smaller ships are better for Alaska and the ship has more outside viewing areas compared to Majestic Princess. Of all the Princess ships, this ship I have been on the most.

I have not been on Koningsdam to compare the two.

Those are important points--thank you!  I was initially attracted to Majestic Princess because it was newer, but the view is more important to me than an updated stateroom.  Thank you!

19 minutes ago, bookmomoftwins said:

Those are important points--thank you!  I was initially attracted to Majestic Princess because it was newer, but the view is more important to me than an updated stateroom.  Thank you!

A lot of ships are doing away with Promenade decks and forcing people inside to spend more money. I absolutely love outside deck space in Alaska. I also think the worst place to be glacier viewing days is on a stateroom balcony as you only get the view from that side and that angle. I want to be outside and moving around to always get the best view. Everyone goes to the top deck but sometimes the lower decks provides better pictures as you are more level with glaciers (professional photographer told me that and it is right). The Majestic doesn't have a true promenade deck.

Not sure on the Koningsdam but a lot of HAL ships have an open bow which is great for viewing. HAL ships tend to be smaller compared to other lines which most would agree is beneficial in Alaska.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Coral said:

Not sure on the Koningsdam but a lot of HAL ships have an open bow which is great for viewing.

The Koningsdam does open the bow for Glacier Bay.  

The bigger issue with the Majestic Princess...sails west of Vancouver Island.  Essentially, it's pointless to sail from Vancouver if you're going to go the same route as the Seattle ships.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PACD_JG said:

The bigger issue with the Majestic Princess...sails west of Vancouver Island.  Essentially, it's pointless to sail from Vancouver if you're going to go the same route as the Seattle ships.

Thanks for confirming Koningsdam.

I agree about the Majestic. Though - I have a friend on a smaller ship on NCL  (Spirit) in June and they are sailing West of Vancouver Island. I think it is related to emissions. They got a recent email about the route change.

Sapphire Princess has frontal viewing under the bridge but not quite as large as a bow. I have used this several times in Alaska and in Norway.

10 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

I didn't know that about the Majestic--that makes a big difference.  Thank you!