What to see or do on third trip to Rome?

g8way2go

Will be arriving in Rome mid September,  2 days before cruise.  My roommate has visited the traditional sites - vatican, colosseum, and food tour etc and not one for art galleries.  I know there is more to Italy and Rome but having difficulty finding info in guide books and trip advisor.  Limited to public transit but willing to travel to other areas.  We are open to any and all suggestions. 

(Personally I like all things that deal with animals, gardens - particularly dahlias ... and a nice beach if weather is warm.)    

Rome has a huge amount of sights worth visiting; but having said that, it IS a large urban city so there are not a lot of gardens and animals on offer. Nor are there beaches.

The one thing I can think of are the Borghese gardens, which are the largest public gardens in Rome and just happen to include a small zoo (officially called the Bioparco). The park is set in the area around the Borghese museum, which is worth a visit even if you don't like art just for the sake of visiting a beautiful villa in Rome.  I believe you can rent bikes and ride through the park (used to be able to rent horses as well but no longer) and there is a small lake with paddle boats.

If you want to do some things within Rome, how about:

-- Visit the catacombs -- all three of the major catacombs on the via Appia offer tours in English 

-- Visit the (early morning) flower market at Campo dei Fiori

-- To experience what Roman baths were like, do the "virtual reality" experience at the Baths of Caracalla

-- If you are in Rome during nice (warm) weather, take a boat ride on the Tiber to view Rome's ancient and beautiful bridges 

-- Visit the cat sanctuary at Largo Argentina -- Romans cherish their stray cats

How do you feel about ancient Roman sites in general?  There are so many great ones in and around Rome, from small to grand -- much more than just the Colosseum...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been to Rome a number of times now and still haven't seen it all.  One place that seems to be off the beaten track is Museo Nazionale. Here there are frescoes etc that were uncovered during various excavations in the city.  One room features the walls of the garden room of the emperor's sister, Lydia (if I recall the name correctly) which was absolutely amazing.

24 minutes ago, lynncarol said:

Been to Rome a number of times now and still haven't seen it all.  One place that seems to be off the beaten track is Museo Nazionale. Here there are frescoes etc that were uncovered during various excavations in the city.  One room features the walls of the garden room of the emperor's sister, Lydia (if I recall the name correctly) which was absolutely amazing.

I love that museum -- and that room. It was discovered in a villa that supposedly belonged to Livia (you were close!) the wife of Emperor Augustus. The larger-than-life statue of Augustus on the first floor of that museum also comes from her villa. I've been to the villa outside Rome to see it, makes for a nice half-day DIY trip.

Many of the frescoes in the museum are beautiful and of better workmanship than those in Pompeii, which makes sense because Rome was the seat of wealth, power and taste.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 1:43 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I love that museum -- and that room. It was discovered in a villa that supposedly belonged to Livia (you were close!) the wife of Emperor Augustus. The larger-than-life statue of Augustus on the first floor of that museum also comes from her villa. I've been to the villa outside Rome to see it, makes for a nice half-day DIY trip.

Many of the frescoes in the museum are beautiful and of better workmanship than those in Pompeii, which makes sense because Rome was the seat of wealth, power and taste.

Ah...thanks for the clarification.  It's been a number of years since we went to that museum, and even though I had obviously forgotten the correct identifying info, I have never forgotten the beauty of that room.  Also, now I know what I want to include on our next visit to Italy...Livia's  villa outside Rome

• Like 2