Kenai Fjord versus Major Marine in Seward

donaldsc

Our preferred vendor is Major Marine.  There has always been more than ample space on their vessels to move around to view the sights.  And they assign a table so you have "your" space to leave backpacks, jackets and so forth.   This assigned table has in the past confused folks who think they are suppose to sit there the entire time of the excursion.  That assigned table is simply where you will dine and is the space to use for backpacks and so forth.

The folks who own Major Marine purchased the Harbor 360 Hotel which had formerly been branded as a Holiday Inn.  If you decide to use Major Marine  check their website as they offer specials which include discounted excursions and room packages.  During the pandemic they purchased an additional hotel property so now have two hotel options.

We prefer the 7.5 hour excursion as it goes to both Holgate and Aialik glaciers.

• Like 2

Another vote for Major Marine.  We’ve been on tours with them and Kenai Fjords.  Both are pretty good but I feel the customer service was better on Major Marine.  The provided lunch was better on Major Marine as well!

The longer you’re on the water the more opportunities for wildlife spotting and glacier viewing.

I have never used Major Marine, but have gone with Kenai Fjords twice, and would have no qualms booking with them again.  Our experiences were wonderful.  

I do agree, though, to do the longest tour that you can.  You will see and have more glacier time, as well as more opportunity to get out where the wildlife is.  Both times we have had up close encounters with orca, sea otters and many other types of wildlife.  

On 2/15/2023 at 2:26 PM, Northern Aurora said:

Our preferred vendor is Major Marine.  There has always been more than ample space on their vessels to move around to view the sights.  And they assign a table so you have "your" space to leave backpacks, jackets and so forth.   This assigned table has in the past confused folks who think they are suppose to sit there the entire time of the excursion.  That assigned table is simply where you will dine and is the space to use for backpacks and so forth.

The folks who own Major Marine purchased the Harbor 360 Hotel which had formerly been branded as a Holiday Inn.  If you decide to use Major Marine  check their website as they offer specials which include discounted excursions and room packages.  During the pandemic they purchased an additional hotel property so now have two hotel options.

We prefer the 7.5 hour excursion as it goes to both Holgate and Aialik glaciers.

l looked at the the route maps for the 6 hour tours for both companies. 

The route map for Kenai Fjords (https://www.alaskacollection.com/day-tours/kenai-fjords-tours/kenai-fjords-national-park-tour/) has dotted lines going to both Holgate and Aialik which visually suggests that they are going to both glaciers but the fact that both glaciers are labeled with the number "3" which sort of tells me that you are right about which glaciers they will visit. 

The route map for Major Marine (https://majormarine.com/tour/6-hour-kenai-fjords-national-park-cruise/) clearly states that it will be Holgate or Aialik as you say.

I suspect that Kenai Fjords is being at best deceptive with their map to make you think that they are going to both glaciers or just outright lying.  Do I have it right?  I also see your point about the reserved seating and the better meal.

Thanks for the info.

DON

On 2/15/2023 at 2:26 PM, Northern Aurora said:

I also see a company called Northern Latitude Adventures which has been in business only since 2014 and uses very small boats and is $100 more expensive than the others.  I suspect that this would be a much more uncomfortable tour.

Thanks for the help.  You are great.  We are taking our 11+ year old grandson to Alaska w/o his parents and we want him to have a great time.  We have a family tradition of taking our grandkids to AK when they turn 10 without their parents and he is the last one.  The other 3 have had great times as have the grandparents.  

A final question.  Do you know of any good 1/2 day or slightly longer halibut fishing head boat charters out of either Seward or the Soldotna I think that he would enjoy fishing but a full day charter would be too long.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1