Messina - what to do?

calimn

I am struggling with this stop. Have a group of 3 couples and we are there 12 pm to 8pm. Is there any excursions or tour guide you would recommend for a 5 to 6 hour tour?  Not really into Godfather tour. 

I agree with Taormina.  I've been there twice and enjoyed it as a nice day.  You don't really need a tour/guide.  You just need transportation to get there.  If the ship offers a "Taormina On Your Own" excursion, that works just fine.  They get you there and back, but you are on your own to do as you please once there.  The town is small and walkable.  Perfect for a few hours visit.

Agree with going to Taormina.  No need to pay for a guide in that town, which is essentially two streets (at least for tourists).  Within Taormina the Greco-Roman Amphitheater is a must and, otherwise, you just walk through the town, enjoy a nice lunch, and perhaps do some shopping.  My only caution is that in the afternoon you will find that some shops/boutiques will close from about 1-4.  

Hank

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2023 at 1:06 AM, Over from NZ said:

Last time we were there we went up Mt Etna and then stopped at Taormina on the way back. This time, we're going to Acireale and Catania. 

https://italytoursharing.com/messina-port/acireale-catania-cyclops-riviera-messina-port

We found a private tour for our group of 15 that would do the same: Etna, followed by Taormina, ending at the clock in Messina. 

Did you think it was worth going to Etna?