Cruise tour to Denali

englander

Fourth time Alaska cruise; first time doing the post cruise 4-nt tour ending in Fairbanks. I'm looking for information / comments on how it operates. Like where in Anchorage do we get dropped off for the few hours before we bus to Denali? The itinerary just says we "...have time to stroll around the big-city downtown and enjoy an early lunch on your own."

Then when we end the tour in Fairbanks, our flight is not until 1:50 am the following day after hotel checkout. What is there to do in Fairbanks for the day before heading to the airport at 10 - 11 pm?

If you post the tour specifics we can comment more effectively.  General advice is to have at least two nights at Denali National Park and upgrade to the tundra wilderness tour (it's a shorter tour now because of the Pretty Rocks landslide.)  Fairbanks is light out all night.  You can grab a drink at a local colorful bar or do some last minute shopping at Freddie's.

• Like 1

The bulk of cruise tours which spend time in Fairbanks include the Riverboat Discovery and Gold Dredge #8.  Our OP hasn't provided a hint regarding their personal interests so I suggest they check the Explore Fairbanks website.  A few options include the Museum of the North (located on the University of Fairbanks campus), the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum, or Running Reindeer Ranch.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2023 at 4:06 PM, wolfie11 said:

If you post the tour specifics we can comment more effectively.  General advice is to have at least two nights at Denali National Park and upgrade to the tundra wilderness tour (it's a shorter tour now because of the Pretty Rocks landslide.)  Fairbanks is light out all night.  You can grab a drink at a local colorful bar or do some last minute shopping at Freddie's.

May 26 Am coach transfer Seward to Anchorage ; PM coach transfer to Denali. Stay 2 nights at Denali Park Village. 

May 27 AM Tundra Wilderness tour

May 28 PM Railway to Fairbanks; stay 2 nights at Pike Waterfront resort. 

May 29 Riverboat Discovery tour.

May 30 all day offering transfers to airport. 

Our flight is May 31 at 01:30 am.

We're thinking of renting a car from airport for the day of May 30 and drive around. Will go find Eielson Air Force Base.

Actually curious about how the switch to the land tour happens. TA is not any help. And how long do we stay, and where, in Anchorage. Description says time for early lunch.

Edited by englander

19 hours ago, englander said:

……

We're thinking of renting a car from airport for the day of May 30 and drive around. Will go find Eielson Air Force Base.

Are you retired Air Force?  Eielson is about eighteen miles from Fairbanks on the Richardson Hwy.  Ft. Wainwright is contiguous to Fairbanks.

10 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Are you retired Air Force?  Eielson is about eighteen miles from Fairbanks on the Richardson Hwy.  Ft. Wainwright is contiguous to Fairbanks.

Yes we are. We like to visit bases wherever we go, especially ones we've never seen. Thanks, we've been looking at maps and Google to get a feel for the area. At least with a car rental we have a place to stash our luggage while looking around. We want to check out Ft Wainwright too.

Edited by englander

On 4/9/2023 at 9:59 PM, Northern Aurora said:

I reserved a car with budget at the FAI airport. Any tips on best route to Eielson? We are retired AF so we have IDs. Do both Eielson and Wainwright have a PX/BX/ Exchange store? I might have to visit the Post Office if I have accumulated too many souvenirs to fit into luggage.

Edited by englander

There is only one direct route to the bases.  We rented a car when we were in Fairbanks.  We were at a loss as to what we were gong to do with our time after we went to North Pole, toured the U of A Fairbanks Museum (highly recommend) and drove around Fairbanks. Based on what you already have planned, there is honestly not a whole lot to do. 

The tour bus will likely drop you off in downtown Anchorage by the mall.  You will literally walk around town during that time.  I suggest if you have time to go the "Humpy's" or if you can get over to it "Moose's Tooth"  Other than that you will be strolling through souvenir shops.

Edited by Coram
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, we have lots of time too. Don't need to turn the car in until 11 pm for a 1:30 am flight. I  was thinking of going to Noth Pole and the museum. Still open to where to get dinner before heading to the airport. 

On 4/12/2023 at 12:20 PM, englander said:

I reserved a car with budget at the FAI airport. Any tips on best route to Eielson? We are retired AF so we have IDs. Do both Eielson and Wainwright have a PX/BX/ Exchange store? I might have to visit the Post Office if I have accumulated too many souvenirs to fit into luggage.

Have you looked at a map?  To drive to Eielson just head south on the Richardson Highway.  The base entrance is a few miles past the community of North Pole.  And as far as I know both bases have PXs.

Check the Explore Fairbanks website for ideas to do in Fairbanks.  The Museum of the North is great as is the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum.  If you are on a cruise tour the Riverboat Discovery and Gold Dredge No. 8 are probably included.  Also consider the Running Reindeer Ranch.  But with a day I would consider driving to Chen’s Hot Springs Resort.

Regarding dinner the Lemon Grass is close to FAI but closes at 9 pm.  Consider either the Pump House (new owner with new chef with mixed reviews) or Pikes Landing.

Love Lemon Grass!  They have the best curries. I didn't get to Fairbanks last year, so I'm not up on the latest changes, i.e., the Pump House. I'm still in mourning after hearing Sam's Sourdough closed 😢  Gulliver's Books is gone too, although half my library still has the yellow stickers on the books.  Is the really good falafel place on College Road still open?  

I'm really going to try to get up there in early fall, but I also have knee replacement surgery scheduled around that time.

Doing a cruisetour that starts in Fairbanks in June.  The family and I are going up 4 days early, one to acclimate to the time change (we're from South Florida) and also to explore on our own.  I booked a car on Turo (Airbnb of cars), cheaper than the rentals at the airport.  The tour includes the Riverboat Discovery cruise.  I booked Running Reindeer Ranch and Gold Dredge 8 to fill up the days.  Also going to go to Pioneer Park.  Really wanted to go to Chena Hot Springs, but my boys are 15 and not allowed in the spring.  Can't wait to get there!

On 4/12/2023 at 9:12 PM, wolfie11 said:

Love Lemon Grass!  They have the best curries. I didn't get to Fairbanks last year, so I'm not up on the latest changes, i.e., the Pump House. I'm still in mourning after hearing Sam's Sourdough closed 😢  Gulliver's Books is gone too, although half my library still has the yellow stickers on the books.  Is the really good falafel place on College Road still open?  

I'm really going to try to get up there in early fall, but I also have knee replacement surgery scheduled around that time.

The husband of the couple who were long time owners of the Pump House died several months ago.  It is my understanding that he had Alzheimer’s.  The new owners brought in a new executive chef and are now offering live music in the bar on the weekends.  The brunch has been re-introduced.  We live in Chena Ridge so are regulars at the brunch.

The family which owned Sams had a rough time.  First Patty died and then within a few months her husband and his brother also died.  Since all three were instrumental in that family owned operation the kids decided to sell.  I have wondered about the sourdough starter.  The kids should have sold batches of it.  We certainly would have bought some.  For non-Fairbanksans reading this the the sourdough starter at that restaurant was clearly a really old sourdough.  Old starters just have a certain texture that newer ones lack.

With the farmers market closed for the winter it as been a while since we have drive down College Road.

On 4/13/2023 at 10:35 AM, ermedchyc29 said:

…….

Really wanted to go to Chena Hot Springs, but my boys are 15 and not allowed in the spring.  Can't wait to get there!

I realize that Chena Hot Springs Resort has an age limit for the outdoor rock pool, but do they have one for the hot tubs and inside pools?  Would your kids enjoy the Angel Rocks hike in the Chena Recreation Area?  

15 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

I realize that Chena Hot Springs Resort has an age limit for the outdoor rock pool, but do they have one for the hot tubs and inside pools?  Would your kids enjoy the Angel Rocks hike in the Chena Recreation Area?  

Yeah, they could use the pool and hot tub, but I would feel sad that they couldn't experience the spring, and stand there and watch us, LOL. May just have to go back up to do the Northern Lights when my boys are old enough

On 4/14/2023 at 11:45 AM, ermedchyc29 said:

Yeah, they could use the pool and hot tub, but I would feel sad that they couldn't experience the spring, and stand there and watch us, LOL. May just have to go back up to do the Northern Lights when my boys are old enough

The rock pool, while lovely, is actually man made.  The floor is totally flat with the water a consistent four feet (or so) in depth.  There are a number of boulders along the edges which folks sit on.  For years we have spent four or five days there for a Christmas easy holiday.  

• Like 1