Dress code in restaurants

travelexplore3

I have a dress code question. This topic usually causes a debate so before I even ask I just want to say I’m asking because it is extremely important to my husband. I have read over and over there is no dress code other than no wet swimsuits. My question is this, does anyone know the rules on baseball hats in dining rooms? My husband is not comfortable unless he’s wearing a baseball hat for reasons of his own. These are nice baseball hats that match his outfits, not sports team hats. We’ve been asked to leave many restaurants on board NCL on our last 3 cruises because he refused to remove his hat. Some of these were up charge restaurants we paid extra to eat at. I understand rules are rules but if we are paying to be there he should be able to wear a hat while eating. Anyone know if hats are allowed in dining rooms?

There are literally NO rules other than to have certain appropriate body parts covered and not to be dripping onto the chairs.  Totally seriously.  While I usually put on something a little more dressed up, I have gone to the restaurants in shorts and a t-shirt.  I've never seen anyone turned away for any clothing.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, travelexplore3 said:

I have a dress code question. This topic usually causes a debate so before I even ask I just want to say I’m asking because it is extremely important to my husband. I have read over and over there is no dress code other than no wet swimsuits. My question is this, does anyone know the rules on baseball hats in dining rooms? My husband is not comfortable unless he’s wearing a baseball hat for reasons of his own. These are nice baseball hats that match his outfits, not sports team hats. We’ve been asked to leave many restaurants on board NCL on our last 3 cruises because he refused to remove his hat. Some of these were up charge restaurants we paid extra to eat at. I understand rules are rules but if we are paying to be there he should be able to wear a hat while eating. Anyone know if hats are allowed in dining rooms?

On most lines, they might be stuffy about it, but if he's tidy, they 100% don't care. If anything, you now need to track down a nice set of themed caps for him for the different venues, plus of course an amazing one for Scarlet Night!

Virgin is very much "this is your dinner, you're not affecting other people or the people who will be using the seats, etc after you, so enjoy your vacation!"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hahaha. Thank you all so much for your replies and information. We really appreciate it so much. I think we are going to go ahead and book, and really hoping this will be our new cruise line. I have read So many positive reviews and experiences and it really sounds like an amazing cruise line. Thank you so much.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, travelexplore3 said:

Hahaha. Thank you all so much for your replies and information. We really appreciate it so much. I think we are going to go ahead and book, and really hoping this will be our new cruise line. I have read So many positive reviews and experiences and it really sounds like an amazing cruise line. Thank you so much.

We did our first one and booked 3 more to get the rebooking on board deal.  Yeah, we are hooked.

• Like 2

For us its bad luck to wear hats indoors. I would never stop someone wearing a hat indoors 🤣🤣 but for any people brought up in the same culture, it is like breaking a mirror to us. We deem there will be 7 years bad luck for wearing a hat inside. I cannot even tell you why it exists in our culture but its more a habit - like wearing shoes inside someones house who doesnt believe in wearing outdoor shoes inside.

So i can understand why NCL turned you away as it could be across European cultures that we view hat wearing indoors to have 7 years bad luck. So that is most likely why you don't see many Europeans do this and why we look scared for the indoor hat wearer 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

On 2/23/2023 at 7:15 AM, CineGraphic said:

I could never understand how someone wearing a hat, or shorts or jeans at another table could ruin a meal for others.

Not about shorts and definitely not about jeans, but hats are a huge issue in certain U.S. based sub-cultures.  They are used essentially for tribal identity and often result in physical fights or worse.

These are not issues for the demographic and style of Virgin Voyages, but I would expect Carnivale, for example, to be vigilant about it.